Need Advise

Started by Dirt Clod, June 25, 2011, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Clod

Put two butts in the smoker yesterday. When I went to bed they were at about 160 IT. Get up this morning to check them and the smoker is off. I forgot to rest the timer. The smoker temp is at 105 and the two butts are at 132 IT. Will they be ok to eat if I  the turn the smoker heat element back on and finish cooking them or should I cut my loses? Thanks

devo

I believe someone posted on here not to long ago that pork don't need to be cooked much higher than 160F IT so if it was me I would drop that sucker in a tin foil pan with some apple juice cover and reheat it in the oven than see if it will pull. It will probably be so tender it will just fall apart, but thats just me and i'm sure others might have some better suggestions.

GusRobin

i think in this case it is not the temp that they reach but how long they were in the danger zone (40* -140*). I would think that when you last left them at 160 and they only dropped to 132, that they were not in the zone that long relatively speaking. Me I would do as devo said and reheat them to 190 -195, FTC and pull. Others will say "when in doubt throw it out". But in this case I would take the chance, you must make your own decision though.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

I think you're good to go on the reheat. I would move them to your house oven, place them on a rack in a roasting pan and bring the IT up to around 195 or so.

Quarlow

I agree, if they only dropped to 132f then the smoker was not off for very long. I would go for it if it was mine no problem.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

If the **IT** dropped to 132, the smoker temp probably went way low.
That probably put the surface area in the danger zone for quite a while.

If you moved to oven, a short time on HIGH might be in order to be safe.
You want to be certain you killed any bacteria that formed on the surface.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Dirt Clod

Finshed cooking them and no one got sick. So all is good, so was the pork ;D

ghost9mm

Dirt Clod... Really glad to hear that everything worked out well for you..and that the pork was good..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill