I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto

Started by Pachanga, November 11, 2009, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I read this a couple of times and I don't see what is causing the hostility or personal attacks. It's just one person's view of how to utilize the Bradley Smoker. I've been on this forum for over four years, and us old timers had fun sharing information on how to maximize the smoker. In situations like this, we would argue over techniques, but tried to avoid personal attacks.

To call Pachanga's post a rant, would indicate an angry outburst. I thought it was well written, with a lot of information to back up his position, and I saw no derogatory remarks about other styles of cooking. I've always had an interest in how others do thing, so maybe that is why I view the posting differently, and I may learn from what was posted. I'm not saying I 100% agree with what is written, but I may take some or many of the procedures and test it out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

I have removed my two posts on this thread.

Thank you WTS for reminding me of how you took the high road on the mustard slather thread and removed your post.  I have no desire nor inclination to turn this personal.  Habs, thanks for pointing that out.  With over 2,000 posts, I too consider myself a "newer" old timer on this Board and don't want to be responsible for anything detrimental to it or anyone on it.

KyNola

Caneyscud

Agree with you Habs, wise words.  I'm definitely not an old-timer here on the forum.  However, over the decades I have debated different techniques of BBQ, whether or not chili should have beans, whether the Aggies or the Longhorns are the better team, etc..... and ad infinitum.  While it can get passionate - these are not personal issues.  As having grown up in and around open pits smoking halves of beef, I appreciate the viewpoint expounded by Pachanga, but I also appreciate the viewpoint of the rest of ya'll.  I don't agree with Pachanga with everything (mustard slather on brisket), but I appreciate his viewpoint and that viewpoint is viable and delicious.  I also don't consider the posts rants - far from it.  I don't see him telling anybody is "wrong", just that there is another way.  Speaking of wrong, could all of us who use a Bradley be "wrong"?  The KCBS, among others organizations don't recognize the use of Bradleys in their contests.  Big deal, but look at what the Gov't says.  The USDA describes BBQ as "meat, such as a product labeled beef barbecue or barbecue pork, shall be cooked by direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or hot coals thereof for a sufficient period of time to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecue article, which includes the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat.  The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process.  The weight of the cooked meat shall not exceed 70% of the weight of the fresh, uncooked meat"   But who really cares what the guvment says - the Bradley makes darn good BBQ - we all know that!   Just call us rebels. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

Well, I guess if we're going to be rebels we'll have to have a flag designed. I recommend the following.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KevinG on November 12, 2009, 08:45:38 AM
Well, I guess if we're going to be rebels we'll have to have a flag designed. I recommend the following.

Looks good to me Kevin, especially the one on the left.

KevinG

You should have seen her in the orignal photo shoot. Clothes were optional  :o

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KevinG on November 12, 2009, 09:33:35 AM
Clothes were optional  :o

And so was accepting others' opinions. Or at least I thouht so.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Fuzzybear

I wuz only funnin' - nobody should ever take my trash talk seriously - ever, I mean it!  I don't care what the topic is!  This is all about what we would talk about sitting around the smoker if we could all ever get together!  Good ribbin' is just part of the deal!

KevinG

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 12, 2009, 03:37:53 PM

HR

Yep, I think others opinions are very valuable. You can always learn something new from someone else, sometimes it may not be right, but sometimes it is better than what originally was!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KevinG on November 12, 2009, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 12, 2009, 03:37:53 PM

HR

Yep, I think others opinions are very valuable. You can always learn something new from someone else, sometimes it may not be right, but sometimes it is better than what originally was!

I heard that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JGW

I've been looking at this thread off and on for the last day (since I posted).

Myself, I didn't take it as a rant, just as a "highbrow opinion" type thing and honestly think that there was no malice in the posting.  If I had to guess, it was probably meant as an educational post.  In any case, by calling it a manifesto he clearly stated that it was an OPINION piece.

While I respectfully disagree with a mustard slather on a brisket  :), I really don't care if people do it.  Foiling...same thing.  Beer...

Ok, MIGHT be a problem there.  ;D

BTW, Caneyscud.....The LONGHORNS are ALWAYS the better team.  Hook 'em horns!!  (Ok, I admit it...I went to UT)   :D

Smokin Soon

I just take a little bit of everyone's cooking and smoking experience and develop my own. When I do something I classify as "off the hook" I do realize it might not be to everbody's taste. This forum is a vast library from a wide variety of cookers, and I enjoy learning from all of them.

JoeHifi

Pachanga,

I learn from all of your posts.  Keep up the good work.

Joe

mtbrtw

;D If I wanted Martha Stewart brisket I would foil it like all the other ladies do!!

JF7FSU

Pachanga,

Thank you for the informative post. I enjoyed every word, and it was very well written.  I'm not sure why some people took offense, since it is all opinion and you stated same.  Your techniques have helped me and my very first brisket was a mustard slathered one.

I loved the point of view and hope you continue to write about your perception of "Authentic Texas BBQ".  I am always a student and love to hear everyone's techniques.

My only question is, so you really need to mop in the Bradley since you have a pan of water and it is sealed up?

May your smoke be thick and your meat fork tender!     
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone