I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto

Started by Pachanga, November 11, 2009, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

Great Thread!  Thanks for all your tips.  My first brisket smoke was a disaster.  Mainly because I bought a trimmed brisket from the supermarket.  But after reading this post and some of your others I am going to the butcher and get my 10 packer's cut.  Is it the weekend yet????
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 25, 2010, 10:53:46 AM
Great Thread!  Thanks for all your tips.  My first brisket smoke was a disaster.  Mainly because I bought a trimmed brisket from the supermarket.  But after reading this post and some of your others I am going to the butcher and get my 10 packer's cut.  Is it the weekend yet????

Now you're talking! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SnellySmokesEm

Would you recommend that I wet age the brisket, and if so, for how long?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Many do, but I don't.  IMNSHO, I didn't see that it made too much (if any) difference the one time I did it.  And I rarely have dead space in the refrigerator to let a 13# chunk of raw meat to sit around.  Ones that do use it, swear by it and wet-age it every time.  There is actually quite a bit of controversy regarding this around the bbq world.  Some do , some don't, some swear it tenderizes, others swear it doesn't, some swear it improves the taste, others swear it doesn't.  So with so many opinions, I reckon there is not a definitive answer.  As I said, I usually don't because of lack of space, I did not see any improvement in tenderness (you slow cook to tenderness anyways), I did not see any noticeable improvement in taste (but I heavily rubbed that brisket, plus I pack the smoke on.), and I don't want to risk losing meat to the nasties (especially since I did not see any major differences).  I hope others chime in, especially the ones who wet-age. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

car54

Did I miss this post that was started on Nov. 11th.

Pachanga, I have only done 2 briskets and I feel motivated to do another. You spent much time on your post and I appreciate that. Do you separate the point from the flat and what temperature do you cook them to?

I have been a member of this forum for nearly 6 years . I do not consider my self an expert on anything. I value everyones input and try to learn from every post that I read. Thank you forum members for your input.

The main point is to enjoy the cooking  and eating your food with family and friends.

Brad

Pachanga

Car54,

I smoke mainly packer cut briskets and leave them whole.  That is common in the Texas areas in which I learned to smoke.  Packers are available in every store.  I generally smoke at 220 F.  However, I usually smoke several at a time so the temperature climb on 40 to 50 pounds of meat is very slow.  Target cabinet temperature is not met for 10 - 12 hours.  I smoke to fork tender which is nearly always between 190 and 195 IT measured in the middle of the flat.

If you are interested there are several threads at the bottom of the manifesto that detail my method with photos.

Thanks for the comment.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga