Old Hand But New to Bradley

Started by anderson5420, November 11, 2009, 06:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

Hi - Pat Anderson here from Fall City, WA.  I have been smoking food and making sausage for a long time, just did a batch of Polish in the Bradley. I must say temperature control was a bugger.  Any suggestions?
So many recipes, so little time!

classicrockgriller

Hiya Anderson and welcome to the Forum. Nice to have ya here.

Do you have a PID?

anderson5420

No, I was looking at those earlier today, doubt I am handy enough to gin it all up from components.  Guess I would have to get the ready-made Auber Instruments controller, but it is a little steep at $150.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 11, 2009, 06:33:59 PM
Hiya Anderson and welcome to the Forum. Nice to have ya here.

Do you have a PID?

classicrockgriller

What is your thermo?
I used the maverick et-73
It is a dual probe that tells meat IT and temp of cabinet.

anderson5420

Had a cheap Chinese one from Walmart but I just broke it. I was looking at the Maverick one as well, I have the Maverick 5501 grinder and its awesome.  But knowing the temperature and controlling it are two different things!  I want a PID controller so I can set it and forget it!

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 11, 2009, 06:39:34 PM
What is your thermo?
I used the maverick et-73
It is a dual probe that tells meat IT and temp of cabinet.

classicrockgriller

I think that would solve most of your problems.

I don't have to fight the cold like you do and I know that can play havoc on your smokin.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Pat! I would go with the Auber myself as you really don't save a lot building one unless you get some great deals on components! Just my 2 cents worth.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Hi pat and welcome to the forum. We have alot of fun on here. And the passion is over the top. These folks would smoke a pole cat if tthey thought it wouldn't stink when it was done. LOL. I have been studing all this for about 8 months and the Auber PID is the way I am going. I have the OBS so temp control with the slider will be a thing of the past with the Auber. Happy smoking and remember to keep that vent open. Any questions just ask, someone will be along to answer it. By the way this site is free, but you can pay us with pics anytime.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Pat and welcome to the fun.

I have the DBS6, PID and the Maverick ET 73 and I have to say they are great. They basicaly do the work for you. One other advantage for having the PID, in addition to control your tower temp, is the ability to ramp temperatures. This comes in very handy when you are doing salmon and sausages.

Good luck and remember to keep that vent at least half open.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

anderson5420

Thanks all.  Looking forward to checking in more or less regularly.

squirtthecat

Welcome aboard, Pat!   My wife's family is from your neck of the woods - down in Tacoma.

I don't have a PID - I took the cheapskate route (I had spent all of my surplus cash on building a patio for my smoker) and went with a Ranco temperature controller.  It's basically a heavy duty thermostat w/ 6' temperature probe.   It handles temps up to 220 degrees, which is perfect for what I do.

I think I got it for about 75 bucks plus s/h.

classicrockgriller

squirt, is that ranco, a plug in like the Auber?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 08:10:53 AM
squirt, is that ranco, a plug in like the Auber?

Yes.  It plugs into the power outlet, and I plug the tower into it.  (with an extra computer cable)  It has a silicone temperature probe on a 6' wire that I snake down through the vent.

You set the target temperature, the temperature difference (+/- n degrees), whether you are heating or cooling to that temperature (they use these to control exhaust fans in bee hive operations), and it takes over from there.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

I think Habs has a write-up about one on the recipe site..  Let me find it.  

--EDIT--

Wiring guide:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=644

(I bought the pre-wired one)

Another thread:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11518.0

Closeup of mine:

Wired up, temperature probe snaking up the back of the cabinet, and down through the OBS vent:

Another shot of temp probe:

Pat - sorry to hijack your thread.  Hopefully this information is useful!

classicrockgriller

So with my dbs, the bradley controller takes over as long as the PID is not turned on?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 08:23:38 AM
So with my dbs, the bradley controller takes over as long as the PID is not turned on?

I can't speak about the DBS... I've only admired them in the catalogs.  ;)

See my edit above for my usage of the Ranco.