Old Hand But New to Bradley

Started by anderson5420, November 11, 2009, 06:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 08:23:38 AM
So with my dbs, the bradley controller takes over as long as the PID is not turned on?

The cord from the heating element plugs into the PID and not into the generator when you are using the PID. You will need a new cord to go from the PID to the element as the short cord you have now has the wrong end on it. A copmuter cord is all you need.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on November 12, 2009, 09:00:24 AM
So with my dbs, the bradley controller takes over as long as the PID is not turned on?

The cord from the heating element plugs into the PID and not into the generator when you are using the PID. You will need a new cord to go from the PID to the element as the short cord you have now has the wrong end on it. A copmuter cord is all you need.

The one thing I would add is that the Bradley still controls the smoke generator.
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on November 12, 2009, 09:00:24 AM

I agree

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

I've been holding off on the Auber PID though I'm sure it does a great job.  However, at over half the price of the OBS, I dunno.

It's bad enough just buying those bisquettes.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

JoeHifi

Quote from: ArnieM on November 12, 2009, 07:02:40 PM
I've been holding off on the Auber PID though I'm sure it does a great job.  However, at over half the price of the OBS, I dunno.

It's bad enough just buying those bisquettes.

ArnieM,

If you're somewhat handy then you could do this: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

On my original set up I mounted the PID and the SSR in the smoke generator similar Bubbagump's.

If you want to do that and you have something that will cut metal then all you need is a PID, SSR, Temp probe and some hook up wire.

As of 2009 November 12; PID $44.50  SSR $15.00  Temp probe $6.85  Total $66.35 plus shipping. less than two 120 packs of bisquettes.

Or you could build a cheesy wooden box like I have now.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12149.0 You don't need the extra PIDs. (I just like to play.)

In this case you would also need computer line cord, similar to the one that connects the smoke generator to the 120v (house current).

And a SSR heatsink. I would also recommend a heat sink if you use a plastic box.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Joe

Quarlow

Hey cousin, Have you ever looked at the price of bisquettes this way. We pay $20. for a box of 48. $20 : 48=$.41  $.41x3=$1.24 per hour. That's pretty cheap to my way of thinking. When we use to build our own smokers years ago, you couldn't buy even chips. Dad would get out the chainsaw and cut alder logs into thin discs and we would scoop up the shavings too. Factor in the cost of the saw,fuel and oil plus the time it all took and if we had to buy the would or go get it from some woods somewhere(we didn't cause my Gramp's had a tree topping business) $1.24 an hour is real cheap and convenient. 16 hours out of a box of 48 for $20. is not to bad. Unless I screwed up the math which is entirely possible so I could actually be paying way more than I think and then.....0 I need more g'darn wood pucks.... that 's it does anyone want to buy this f$%%^^ thing from me. Ohh wait a minute...Ok I just got carried away for a second.....I'll be OK. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

anderson5420

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 12, 2009, 08:14:51 AM
Pat - sorry to hijack your thread.  Hopefully this information is useful!

Not a problem!

I was just looking at that controller yesterday, or one very much like it, didn't know it was a Ranco.  We use those at our brewery (I founded Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company 12 years ago). I asked our brewer to dog-ear the page in the Grainger catalog so I could check it out, will do that today.  So you don't need a separate relay, this is completely self-contained and ready to go?
So many recipes, so little time!

squirtthecat

Quote from: anderson5420 on November 13, 2009, 06:28:26 AM

Not a problem!

I was just looking at that controller yesterday, or one very much like it, didn't know it was a Ranco.  We use those at our brewery (I founded Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company 12 years ago). I asked our brewer to dog-ear the page in the Grainger catalog so I could check it out, will do that today.  So you don't need a separate relay, this is completely self-contained and ready to go?

That is correct.  Pretty much plug-and-smoke.  You just need an extra cord to run from the BS cabinet to the Ranco.  A heavy computer cord does the trick.    I think it's rated to 1200 watts or so??  Plenty of capacity to run the Bradley.

ArnieM

Thanks for the PID info and the links JoeHifi.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

anderson5420

I now have a Ranco ETC-111000-000, wired up and tested this morning at about 5 am, works GREAT, this is THE missing piece for me for about the last 20 years!

squirtthecat

Quote from: anderson5420 on November 20, 2009, 09:23:07 PM
I now have a Ranco ETC-111000-000, wired up and tested this morning at about 5 am, works GREAT, this is THE missing piece for me for about the last 20 years!

Good deal, glad you liked it.

anderson5420

Yeah the Ranco ETC-111000-000 is awesome.  First off, it is nice to know what the actual temperature in the smoker is - I assume the Ranco is more accurate than the thermometer in the door which is hard to interpret anyway.  Second it was interesting to see the temperature swings plus or minus so many degrees - it seemed like about 5 - but overall centered right around my set point.  No more overshoot / adjust, undershoot / adjust, overshoot again / adjust, etc.  This really is THE missing piece.  Got to try it next with my SMI 20 lb smoker. I might not have bought a Bradley if I had known about the Ranco - but only learned about the Ranco through the Bradley forum!   

squirtthecat

Quote from: anderson5420 on November 21, 2009, 09:32:09 PM
Yeah the Ranco ETC-111000-000 is awesome.  First off, it is nice to know what the actual temperature in the smoker is - I assume the Ranco is more accurate than the thermometer in the door which is hard to interpret anyway.  Second it was interesting to see the temperature swings plus or minus so many degrees - it seemed like about 5 - but overall centered right around my set point.  No more overshoot / adjust, undershoot / adjust, overshoot again / adjust, etc.  This really is THE missing piece.  Got to try it next with my SMI 20 lb smoker. I might not have bought a Bradley if I had known about the Ranco - but only learned about the Ranco through the Bradley forum!   

Glad to help out, Pat!

Let us know how it works with your SMI rig..

anderson5420

Should get a chance to try the Ranco with the SMI smoker this weekend. 

anderson5420

Well, not going to happen this weekend!  Car was too full!  We are at Birch Bay, SMI and Ranco are back in Fall City!