Cinnamon Spiced Chicken

Started by Pachanga, November 12, 2009, 09:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

My wife showed me this recipe years ago.  She had found it in a magazine.  I just couldn't see the flavor combinations working.  She made it in the oven and it was a hit with everyone.  I was wrong again. We have been making it ever since.  It is a real nice change of pace.  It is a great way to alter the normal chicken rubs.  I have changed the rub up occasionally by adding Ancho powder and other spices.  It is versatile.  I also rotisserie or butterfly grill it but it smokes well.  

Unfortunately for me, my family is spoiled to brined fowl.  Birds do not get cooked at my house anymore without taking a swim in a flavor brine or marinade.

1 fresh whole chicken preferably brined
3 Tablespoons canola oil or other neutral oil like peanut or corn oil.

Combine the following:

2 ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground all spice

Set aside 1 ½ teaspoon rub.

For this beer can, Bradley smoked version, I used apple wood and the beer was laced with onion, sage, rosemary, apple and a cinnamon stick.  Heating the mixture in the microwave will speed the cooking process.

Remove neck and giblets from chicken (a reminder for my forgetful brain).  Pat dry and put on beer can chicken device with can filled as you would normally.  Brush chicken liberally with oil.  Sprinkle or rub spice mixture onto chicken.  Smoke on low at around 200 degrees using your choice of wood until center of breast is at 161 degrees and no longer pink.  Sprinkle remaining mixture on chicken in the last twenty minutes.

If anyone has other spice recommendations that would be appropriate for further adjustments to the recipe, they would be appreciated.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

KevinG

Me not being much of a chef, and I can't find this stuff at my local grocery store. Where the heck do you get hungarian paprika?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Pachanga

I get mine at Kroger.  It has become common in most stores around here.  Before it was available, I used whatever was on the shelf but there is a difference to my palate and I prefer the Sweet Hungarian.  It also is available in hot.  I would use whatever you have.  The Cinnamon is the star.

Maybe Brad Stab (a real Chef) will be kind enough to comment and educate us on this subject.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OU812

Pachanga

That sounds good. I put cinnamon on salmon when I smoke it, goes great with the other spices.

Kevin

If you are haveing troubles finding spices try penzeys.com I get all my spices from them. I'm lucky enough to have a store close by.

KevinG

Thanks, all my stores have is the regular stuff. It's amazing how many different varieties of everything is out there. My cubbards are full of spices and I still don't have enough.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Quote from: KevinG on November 12, 2009, 09:53:23 AM
My cubbards are full of spices and I still don't have enough.

Me too.

classicrockgriller

Man, I like that. Thanks Pachanga.

Have you used Cardamon much?

I like that spice, just need to find a place to use it.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 09:59:51 AM

Try it in your tea, I like just a dash in my hot tea. Call me weird but its good.
Dont drink coffee but what the heck try it in some of that mud.

classicrockgriller

I used some (added a little to a spice rub) the other day when I smoke/grilled chicken wings on my Traeger
and it was pretty good. Might try a little on a chicken in TBE.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 10:27:08 AM
I used some (added a little to a spice rub) the other day when I smoke/grilled chicken wings on my Traeger
and it was pretty good. Might try a little on a chicken in TBE.

That sounds good also, maybe a dash of thyme too.

squirtthecat

CRG, I just got an email (recpie) from Relish magazine...  Pomegranate Glaze turkey that has cardamom in the glaze.   I'll PM you the recipe if you are interested.

Pachanga

CRG,

I don't have Cardamon even in my pantry but I'm willing to learn.

Again, maybe Chef Brad Stab will chime in and give us some lessons in its usage.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 12, 2009, 10:39:02 AM

CRG, I just got an email (recpie) from Relish magazine...  Pomegranate Glaze turkey that has cardamom in the glaze.   I'll PM you the recipe if you are interested.

If you can either send it or post a link and thanks STC

Brad Stab

Quote from: Pachanga on November 12, 2009, 09:37:16 AM
I get mine at Kroger.  It has become common in most stores around here.  Before it was available, I used whatever was on the shelf but there is a difference to my palate and I prefer the Sweet Hungarian.  It also is available in hot.  I would use whatever you have.  The Cinnamon is the star.

Maybe Brad Stab (a real Chef) will be kind enough to comment and educate us on this subject.

Pachanga

I'll give it a shot,

Paprika comes from the dry ground fruits of the Capsicum annuum, this is a mild capsicum fruit, often called pimento. The capsicum species originated in the Ne World, the particular varieties used to make paprika were developed in Europe, especially in Hungary. The first paprika peppers to arrive in Hungary are believed to be from the east by Bulgarians who had them from Turkey.

Paprika has long been an important part of Hungarian dishes; it's also become popular worldwide for its color and ability to enliven pale dishes. Paprikas are now grown to produce paprika in a number of countries including a number of Eastern European countries, but also in Spain (this is what you see in most basic blends). Spanish paprika, known as pimenton, is made from a round pepper about the size of a peach, of several varieties. It's a bit paler then the red Hungarian paprika, and is a bit different in flavor. There are many varieties of paprika, some of which are very hot, but most are pretty mild and sweet. The grades of paprika are as follows, starting with the best.
Exquisite delicate, delicate noble sweet, semi sweet, rose and hot.

The 2 main growing areas in Hungary are in the south, the most famous is Szeged, This is the paprika I use.Pimenton produced in Spain are from smaller round fruits of mutable varieties. It is used primarily for coloring. If you ever come across "piment d' espellete from Pays Basque give it a try. This pepper is what is used in the drying process of the world famous Bayonne ham from southwest France.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2009, 11:01:40 AM
If you can either send it or post a link and thanks STC

Printer friendly link:

http://www.relishmag.com/recipes/print/28223.html?printable=true

I just got this, so I've never tried it.   But it does sound good. 

Pachanga, I'm going to try your cinnamon rub on my next turkey roast. Thanks for sharing.