Want to try beer can chicken, help please

Started by jaredpost, November 16, 2009, 12:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: La Quinta on November 17, 2009, 07:51:17 PM
Why are people scared of stuffing a turkey? (Forgetting the BE)...I'm 47 years old and have eaten a stuffed turkey all of my life at Thanksgiving...I'll let you know if I make it to my 48th birthday in early December..there is nothing better then the stuffing inside the turkey!!  :)
Because they listen to the government scare mongers!   ;D ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

The TBE is nothing but an infrared heater and an infrared heater is a body with a higher temperature which transfers energy to a body with a lower temperature through electromagnetic radiation.  Heck, you sitting in your chair looking at this on your monitor would be considered an infrared heater.  A low powered heater, but an infrared heater nonetheless.  You body emits lots more things than just heat – but we won't go there as some emit more than others!  ;D ;D ;D So the term infrared heater is no biggie. 

Most of our common cooking devices (including smoker, grills, etc...) except the microwave and the convection oven are infrared heaters – thus their names that show them to be different.  However, there are differences in our common cooking devices and that difference (other than how they make the heat - electricity, gas, charcoal, wood, etc...) is how they transfer this heat energy (electromagnetic radiation).  Some are conductive heat transfers, some are radiative heat transfers, while some are a combination and some are in combination with convective heat transfers – many times having to do with proximity to the heat source.  Conductive heat transfer is basically the transfer of heat from a solid to another solid (or fluid) touching each other.  Common conductive heat transfer is illustrated by putting a steak in a pan that is on an electric stove eye.  There is conductive heat transfer from the eye to the pan and then from the pan to the steak.   The other common heat transfer used in cooking food is radiative heat transfer or in scientific terms - the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves. In other words heat from an object travels through space until absorbed by another object and does not require direct contact with a heat source, liquids or air.  It is is the reason you can feel hot even on a cool day when you are in direct sunlight.  This is your standard oven.  The heat source in an oven produces heat waves and these heat waves are radiated to the food and heating it.  But why when baking does the top of the cake get browned when the heat source is in the bottom of the oven?   In a conventional oven, over half of the heat is radiant energy  and the rest is by convection currents – the elements heat the air and the heated air is moved around by convection and browns the top. 

The TBE is probably more correctly termed a radiant oven.  Yes it is an infrared cooker – but so are other cookers.   It is like your oven, but instead of relying on convection heating of air, to heat, cook and brown the sides and top (sides not in direct sight of a heating element) it surrounds the food with radiant heating elements.  There is probably some convection heating, but the close proximity of the food to the heat, minimizes it's effect.   

Quarlow

Ha Caney you came up with all that at 6:40am. I thank you for that indepth explanation. Surprisingly I get it.
Anyway I am going to get drunk tonight or something, I don't know. The foreman called me to the office 1 hr before my shift ended and told me Myself and another guy were laid off. Probably permanent. Gees they didn't even wait till the end of the shift. I can't believe I left a job as the #1 driver with 7 years seniority and could have retired from in 20 years to go to a job and be unemployed after 15 months.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on November 18, 2009, 05:39:45 PM
Ha Caney you came up with all that at 6:40am. I thank you for that indepth explanation. Surprisingly I get it.
Anyway I am going to get drunk tonight or something, I don't know. The foreman called me to the office 1 hr before my shift ended and told me Myself and another guy were laid off. Probably permanent. Gees they didn't even wait till the end of the shift. I can't believe I left a job as the #1 driver with 7 years seniority and could have retired from in 20 years to go to a job and be unemployed after 15 months.

That really Sucks Quarlow.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Quarlow on November 18, 2009, 05:39:45 PM
Early morning is my second best time at thinking - the best is while sitting on the throne. 

Q that SUCKS!  Big Time!  We find out right after lunch today, when the building my wife works at closes, and when she loses her job, and a lot of mentally handicapped are transferred to  where there is room and the rest get put on the sidewalk.  LOVE this change that has been fostered upon this great country.  Lets see now, do I remember right that the POTUS said the "so-called" stimulus was to keep the unemployment rate out of double digits.  Can we way 10.2% (doctored officially), but more likely closer to really 17% according to economists (CNN story yesterday).  I guess doing something about it would cut into his gallivanting around the world, bowing to kings and emperors.   But on the other hand, I might just rather have him out there playing with in other countries rather than playing with our's.

Quarlow

Thanks guys. I am not to worried about it, it's just that I left a damn good job for one of the best guys I ever worked for to go to this job. It paid more money, was a 4 day a week gig and the quarry has rock to last 35 years so that was retirement in the bag. I may be able to go back to my old job but not to the #1 spot but my darn clutch knee was one of the reasons why I switched jobs, it was getting real sore all the time. Anyway in trucking there is always jobs for a top notch driver with 29 years behind you. Just glad I didn't change my life style to suite the job. The timing is not good with being this close to christmas, I was just getting back on my feet from the 7 week lay off we had in January due to the weather. Oh well onwards and upwards eh.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Hang in there Q...     Did you drive those big mining trucks??    We've got a couple CAT factories around here (headquarters are in Peoria, about an hour N of me), and I see some of those big pieces/parts going up and down the interstate.

Quarlow

I drove a 40 ton rigid frame Cat haul truck which is the same as those just a smaller version, I am certified for up to 100 tons. But 40 tons or 350 tons they all kind of drive the same. I may even go see if the big mine up north has a job if it comes to it. It would be a camp job but the pay is huge. I also drive a 30 ton Komatsu HM300 articulated haul truck. Think Extreme 4x4 and big ass Tonka truck all wrapped together. That's the fun one, you get that thing offroad and it pretty much goes where you point it.(insert simian grunts here ala Tim taylor, Home Improvements). Along with 18 years of over the road trucking.

OBS
BBQ

seemore

Jared, if you try the beer can chicken and like it, you can always buy one of Steven Raichlen's books about it - he has all kinds of great recipes.  We have the Beer-Can Chicken (and 74 other offbeat recipes for the grill) book.

Quarlow, I am so sorry to hear about you being laid off.

seemore

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ