Cinnamon Spiced Chicken

Started by Pachanga, November 12, 2009, 09:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Brad,

Thank you for your input.  I appreciate anything you have time to contribute.  I leaned several things from your post that had evaded me.  With your permission, I will copy it to my recipe file under spices.

I enjoy information that broadens my horizons and adds to my skills.  The history of cooking is also very interesting to me.  I will search for your favorite Szeged grown paprika.

Again, this was educational for me.

Good luck and keep it spicy,

Pachanga

Pachanga

Squirt the Cat,

You may want to make up a double batch.  You can put this on pretty strong. Here is a photo of the little darling before smoking.  I did a pretty uneven job on the rub.  It doesn't rub that well.  I kind of throw it on (not too accurately I guess, there is a mess in the sink and the chicken looks like it needs antibiotics).  I put extra around the top because it usually migrates down somewhat.  For some reason, this stayed put. 

I have already increased the measurements from the original by 1/2 but I never seem to have as much as I would like.

I hope you enjoy it, my family and friends sure do.

Good luck and throw that cinnamon on,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Pachanga, Just a question. Have you ever made a paste of the cinnamon and then sprinkled you spices into that
or would that not work?

Pachanga

CGR,

I haven't made a paste. That sounds like a good idea. When I butterfly the bird, I sprinkle form a distance above.  When I rotisserie, I sprinkle while the spit is spinning.  Those work well and I get a nice even coverage.  This beer can is the problem child.  If I sprinkle the chicken chicken while laying down, when I pick it up to handle the bird and stab it onto the can, I smear the rub.  I can't tilt the nearly full can to sprinkle once he is stabbed.  The bird is smaller at the waist (does a chicken have a waist) so I have to throw up under the breast.  This finished rub is a very fine powder. 

Your idea might work to add the oil to the rub and then paint it on with a pastry brush.  Think about it and let me know what you come up with.

A good alternative is to butterfly the critter.  It smokes nice, cooks even, fits on a Bradley rack, and presentation is nice.  I do, however, like the aromatics in the beer can.

Thanks for the idea,

Good luck and paste it up,

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

This looks like a good rub, and you may have saved me some money down the road. I often purchase Grill Master's Cinnamon & Chipotle Rub for pork and chicken. I make a batch of this and add some chipotle powder. It looks like a close match.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Habanero,

I hope it works out for you.  As I first posted, I was not sold on the flavor mix.  It is now a family favorite and certainly a good change.  I like the chipotle addition.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Fuzzybear

If you add enough cinnamon and sugar, can you get it to taste like a cinnamon roll? ;D  Seriously, I think I'll try that on my next chickie dinner - what's the recipe for the brine soup?

KyNola

Pachanga,
Thanks for the post on the cinnamon chicken.  It looks really good.  Will be on my list to do soon.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

7 ingredients and one is oil.
Then there's salt, pepper, cinnamon, brown sugar, all spice
and that hungry paparika.... I can do that, might even bump
a little cardamon in there. This looks like a keeper for me.

Pachanga

KyNola,

My family likes it.  As I said, it is versatile.

If you don't get around to making it, stop by my house and I'll smoke one up.  You are welcome at my table anytime.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Pachanga

Fuzzybear,

QuoteIf you add enough cinnamon and sugar, can you get it to taste like a cinnamon roll? Grin  Seriously, I think I'll try that on my next chickie dinner - what's the recipe for the brine soup?

Don't give up on me.  I haven't gotten my flavor brine recipe written in a publishable fashion.  It is intermingled with my turkey recipe.

I'm working on it.

Hmmmm.  Cinnamon Roll Chicken.  This may be the start of a new restaurant chain.  I've started my attorney working on securing the name.  What kind of royalty are you going to demand?  Colonel Sanders started out at a nickel a chicken.  It is much higher now, but I understand his daughter's (now deceased) chain in Florida is still on the nickel plan.

Good luck and I hope we make a billion,

Pachanga

Hopefull Romantic

Pachanga,

I saw this post at around 3 AM and decided not to read it until the morning sorta to savor the recipe. And I was right. It sounds very nice and with your permission I am copying it to my recipe file.

We use Cinnamon and cardamon in most things here in this part of the world, and besides in cooking, even as a drink in lieu of coffee or tea, especially on a cold evening. Cardamon is also used as a hot drink and it is called White Coffee. It is great after a heavy meal.

As soon as I am back home, I will try you recipe and let you know.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Pachanga

HR,

I hope you enjoy it.  I would be honored to have contributed to your recipe book.  Let me know of any variations you come up with. 

CRG also mentioned cardamon.  I do not have that in my pantry but have it on my grocery list now.  I appreciate any tips on using it. 

I do not know any of my friends who use it either, so you and CRG may be starting a trend here in Texas.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Good luck and let's spice it up,

Pachanga

Fuzzybear

Hopefull Romantic

Pachanga

There is hardly any rice dish that is cooked without cardamon in it where I am. Rice is a major staple in most middle eastern countries and my wife always adds 3 - 5 whole cardamons to the pot. It gives it a distinct flavor that is great. I have recently come across a recipe that calls for whole cardamon to be inserted in slits cut in a leg of lamb just many would do with garlic.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.