Canadian Bacon....Brine Time is over and They are in the Smoker

Started by classicrockgriller, October 28, 2009, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Dang it,  I'm not one to say there are coincidences.  Been reading CRG's CB posts and went to Sam's yesterday for lunch - wanted a piece of their pizza - nah, not really - just want to go cruise the big pieces of meats.  And what did my eyes behold but whole loins for $1.28.  Did not buy any yesterday, but these pics of CB were dancing in my head all night - guess where I'm heading for "lunch" again??    ;D  My wife doesn't like loin or CB, so I am risking life and limb here!  They also had a cryovac cut of beef, I don't really know what it is yet.  Can't recall everything on the tag, but I do remember the words beef and butt.  I'll open it tomorrow to smoke.  Did I mention it is PRIME!  Feels like you could eat it with a spoon.  Anybody run across this cut before.  I've run into some top sirloin butt roasts and  the thicker end of the tenderloin being called the butt.  Cannot wait to open it to see.  There was also a butcher a few months ago that was trying to describe a cut that some were starting to cut from the chuck, that was extremely tender and marbled.  Not the chuck eye but a small roast, basically one muscle nestled between it's tougher cousins.  Gotta go talk to him more about that!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Man O Man, that all looks delish.

I have a whole pork loin in the fridge thawing right know.

classicrockgriller

Thanks for all the support. This has been a big step for a guy who likes to cook and eat now. Still haven't touched my cheese either.

STC, Boudain is a cajun rice dressing that once was made to utilize all the scraps of meat after a hog killin. The different area of Louisiana
fight about who has the best Boudain like Texans argu about the different ways to make brisket. In fact they have what they call Boudain trail
that takes you to the best of the best Boudain makers thru south Louisiana. I have a choice of 3 different kinds where I live and I like DJ's
and they are out of Beaumont, Tx.

Pachanga

It is hard to beat Crawfish boudain, but I like most of it. 

I would be wearing a disguise and go incognito for a bit after recommending a Texas boudain joint.  Those Cajuns get a little testy over things like that.

Good luck and stay in hiding for awhile,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

When I was younger, I lived all over south part of Louisiana and have eaten some Boudain from Lake Charles, to Welch, Jennings, Scott, Carencro, Lafayette and Laccisine and every region makes it just a little different. Pach, crayfish boudain is a work of art. I like to smoke my Boudain, then let it cool and break up into my scramble eggs with a little milk and green onion tops.

squirtthecat

Thanks CRG. 

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 11, 2009, 06:44:50 AM
crayfish boudain is a work of art

Man, it's discussions like this that make me hate Illinois.  ;)

Anyone up for Soybean Boudain??

KyNola

Oakville,
You asked if the CB could be safely eaten without further cooking if the IT had only been taken to 145.  The answer is ABSOLUTELY.  It will be better than the ones that your wife requested be taken to 160.  The 145 version will be more moist and flavorful but they will both eat very well.

CRG, your CB looks incredible!

KyNola

Pachanga

I get my boudain from Lake Charles.  My Lake Charles friends are natives and they say this is the best in their area.  Their older relatives still spoke only French.

I have been very fortunate to learn from many fine cooks in that area.  While on hunting trips, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen when others were taking a siesta.  Some of the best cooks are the men.  We would go out to a camp in the middle of nowhere.  The lights were run by generator and there would be a card game.  Several old guys would be manning stoves and grills.  They accepted you as a guest and were pleased to instruct.

What a feast.

Good luck and let the good times roll.

Pachanga

oakville smoker

Thanks for the feedback on the 145.
I think I will refuse to cook the other loins past that and no one will be none the wiser !  LOL
Except that it will taste better.

Thanks again.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

deb415611

CRG - it all looks great!

I saw the Boudain and remembered that Nepas had posted a recipe for it awhile ago & I meant to try it.  Took a little searching (the search engine stinks,  Boudain did not even pull up this thread >:( )  but here it is:   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8297.msg85489#msg85489

classicrockgriller

Quote from: deb415611 on November 11, 2009, 01:42:50 PM
CRG - it all looks great!

I saw the Boudain and remembered that Nepas had posted a recipe for it awhile ago & I meant to try it.  Took a little searching (the search engine stinks,  Boudain did not even pull up this thread >:( )  but here it is:   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8297.msg85489#msg85489

Thanks deb for the link....I have not forgotten the Tasso as I just ran out of time, but I am going to do soon and I have that book marked.

classicrockgriller

Trying to catch up on some finished photos.

The 4 different kinds of Canadian Bacon all taste great.

The maple had a slight sweet after taste.
The coconut was very good and you could taste the cocnut flavor.
The cajun was not hot enough (in fact no heat) but had a nice taste to it.
The 2 habs orig were my wifie's favorite.

The Ham with the maple flavoring was real good also. I made a hot ham and cheese and the flavor just busted out of it.

Habanero Smoker

That's a lot of bacon, and a lot of work. Nice job packaging. I might get the nerve to try the coconut flavor one on a small piece. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

bacon bacon bacon and no it's not beggin strips for dogs!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

All I can say is thanks to you guys for helping me. It was a lesson in patience.