Summer Sausage QUESTION

Started by ChefBill, March 07, 2005, 07:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

[?][?]<b>HELP:</b>Got a Summer Sausage Question[?][?]
Has anybody used a Beef Brisket to make Summer Sausage? It seems like it'd be a cheap route to go... OTHERWISE what cuts would you use to make it or just buy ground chuck and proceed from there, considering it needs a certain amount of fat....  Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

jaeger

ChefBill,
I have never used brisket for Summer Sausage. I usually end up using Bnls Chuck Roast. I like to make SS lean so I try to pick out accordingly. I would give the brisket a try as long as you can pick out some that are lean. Here is a picture of Summer Sausage that I made using venison and beef.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

ChefBill

Doug,
That sure looks good.[:p] I'll decide if I can find a brisket that is fairly lean or just cut out some of the fat before making it.  Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

deadeye

Jaeger

Can you post some recipes on that summer sausage??? That stuff looks great!!!!!!!!! I just used my last bit of Ground deer meat But I know I will have some more deer in the freezer this year and I would love to try it. I am going to be buying a grinder and stuffer this year as well?? If you have them can you direct me on what to buy. Just looking into it right know.

Thanks for your time

Derek Canada
Bowhunter For Life
Houston Texas!!!

Oldman

Hold the phone here....
Jaeger I have your beef sticks on the recipe site, but for some %$#$%^& reason I don't have this.

Please lay out in detail what you did and I will make sure it gets added.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Olds,
Here is what I did.
I used 8# of venison and 4# of bnls beef chuck roast. I ground everything once through the large plate and second time through the fine plate.
For seasoning I used EastmanFoods summer sausage seasoning with cure. I also added  1/2tsp garlic powder and 1 1/2 TBL whole mustard seed. I mixed well and added about 1 cup of ice water.
 I took the blades out of the grinder and stuffed with the large horn. Normally I would have waited 2 days for the seasoning to work but I got into a hurry.
I used 2 1/2 " X 10 " clear fibrous casings. They are pretied at one end. I take about 4 long lengths of string and tie to one leg of the table. As I stuff each casing, I twist the end and tie using the string one after another until the length of string is full. After the string is full just cut between each chub and then hang on dowels from the pretied end.
 I preheated the smoker and smoked them on high (250 degrees). I smoked with hickory for 3 hours and they were done in 4 hours (I took them to an internal temp of 170 because I was using venison.)

Next time I will wait at least one hour before putting them in the smoker. I will not let heat pass 200 degrees. They looked perfect when they were done but after I chilled them in cold water, the casings kind of pulled away from the meat. They still had a great smoke taste.

jaeger

deadeye,
I bought a 3/4 hp grinder from Cabelas. I kind of wish I would have gone one step up to the grinder with the #22 plates. The key here is that the neck is quite a bit wider on the #22. The one I have still grinds without a hitch but the wider neck and bigger plates are definetly the way to go.
For my stuffer I just bought a cheap 5 pounder capacity cheapo from Ebay. Homebutcher was his tag. The only thing I have stuffed with it was some beef sticks and it worked great.
 As far as the seasoning, it was good but after I finish the amount that I have left I will try a high mountain mix or follow a recipe.

Main thing deadeye, since you probably grind a lot of venison, when you buy a grinder make sure it uses #22 plates!!!IMO  [;)][:)][:D]

EmmKay Jerky

I made summer sausage out of brisket yesterday and it turned out fabulous