air drying brined salmon

Started by HCAO, November 14, 2009, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCAO

I've had it air drying in my fridge for about 12 hours, but it's still not feeling "tacky".   This is my first time smoking salmon, so i'm not sure what to expect.  I'm going to leave it overnight and see how that is.  Maybe leave it outside at room temp for an hour?

Habanero Smoker

Sometimes it may take longer in the refrigerator. Some refrigerators maintain a higher humidity. especially if it is not a self defrosting one. Or you have such a large load; it may take longer for the refrigerator to air dry the salmon. If you try air drying it at room temperature, use a fan to help with the drying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with Habs on the time and even with the help of a fan, it could take up to 4 hours to reach "tackiness"

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

CB

Don't laugh - my friend is a caterer and she sometimes uses a hair dryer on "low" to dry the surface until it's ready...I know I know.
Happy Grilling!

HCAO

i just left it in for about 24 hours.  it was tacky by then.  smoked it with alder for 4 hours at 120, then last hour at 175.  turned out AMAZING!   i'm going to make some more next week.

Hopefull Romantic

HCAO, wher is the proof??? Where are the pictures?????

;D ;D ;D

HR

Gizmo

I hope you are bringing some samples into work.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCAO

Did a brisket too.   That turned out awesome! Samples??  Those things disappeared so fast!  Half of it didn't make it off the rack. I made alot of brine though, so I'll be doing another batch this week.  A fresh brine mixture is ok stored in the fridge a few days right?  Gizmo, thanks for the tips.  

Tenpoint5

Good Looking meal HCAO. I would suggest not reusing the brine if you have already had fish in it. One the strenght has been diminished and TWO The bacteria thing is going on. Duh read what is written. Yes your FRESH brine should be fine since it was stored in the fridge
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Nice looking food.

I'll second what 10.5 said - a brine should keep for a while considering the amount of salt in it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCAO

got another batch of salmon on brine!  i'm addicted.  gizmo, this time i will TRY to save some for samples.  key word is TRY.

Hopefull Romantic

Man I am sittig here and now in the office browsing through all these wonderful pictures of smoked stuff and my stomac is killing me. Have not had any smoked anything for 4 weeks. That sucks after I got used to the Bradley being around.

Great meal there HCAO.

HR

Gizmo

HR, you'll have to move out here where there are multiple resources to help you get a fix.
H - I am waiting for my BIG sample.  Should be a great appetizer before the Brandt Beef and wine paring at the S.D. Wine and Culinary Institute.  Yummm
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/