smoking turkey in a Bradley smoker

Started by dumoch126, November 14, 2009, 09:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumoch126

Hi, I have read through many of your posts and need osme help. I am going to smoke a whole 12 lb turkey and am going to brine it ovrnite, then smoke using the Apple blocks. My question is, do I use the apple blocks for the entire time until the IT reaches 165, or do I shut the smoker part after 4 hours and leave it in with just the heat on until it reaches the 165?

also, does brining the turkey cut down on how long it needs to cook? If I do not brine, will I need more time to cook?

so, some suggestions, start to finish for a 12 pound turkey!

thank you, Stan

squirtthecat

Welcome!  We've got lots of turkey talk going on this morning..

Just load 4 hours of pucks (12) in the tube.  You'll have a few left over at the end, unless you have some 'Bubba Pucks' to help shove them along.  You might check at the 4 hour mark, and slide the others over the heat element with a screwdriver.   Leave the smoker on the entire time, as it helps provide heat.

Brining doesn't affect the cooking time either way, it just helps add moisture and flavor.

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with STC.

In case you dont have the bubba pucks, I would place two more puck on top to help push the 12 needed pucks through. The 13th puck may be a bit chard but it may still be usable later.

I would bring the turkey to room temperature before you place it in the smoker to help lessen the heat drop. Apply your rub and smoke. Leave the vent 3/4 to full open so no condensation would drizzle over your turkey and it also helps the tempreture rise.

Enjoy

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

dumoch126

So, after brining overnight, if I smoke at 225, how long should I expect it to take to be done? Will the skin be somewhat crisp?

squirtthecat

Hard to say, maybe 5 or 6 hours?  Go by the internal temperature of the breast - it'll tell you when it's done.

No, probably not.  They tend to get a bit rubbery in the Bradley.   Toss it in a hot oven for a bit if you want to crisp it up.

JGW

Generally speaking....Turkey goes for 20-30 minutes a pound.  This will vary depending on what the outside temp is, what temp you cook at and most importantly - how often you open the door.  Like STC said, you will want to check the IT to be sure.  I'll second throwing in the oven to crisp up the skin.

ArnieM

I've only done a whole turkey breast in the OBS.  I didn't pay attention to how long it took; just went by the breast IT.  I cooked at about as high as I could get the OBS, 230-235, vent wide open.  I wouldn't call the skin rubbery but wouldn't call it crispy either.  Certainly, I wouldn't FTC it.  The skin would certainly turn out like rubber.

This Thanksgiving will include a couple of firsts.  Smoke a whole 14-16 pound turkey.  I will brine it and may try injection, skipping the salt.  Probably 4 hours of apple, maybe a couple of mesquite pucks thrown in.  Then, pull it and get it into the Big Easy (I've been practicing on chickens in TBE) to finish it off.  We're having company.  I'll put a couple of frozen pizzas in stock, just in case.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Savannahsmoker

I smoke turkeys in my Traeger and crisp up in The Big Easy but smoking is smoking.  I brine first.

Next smoke in the Traeger at 225 degrees until an internal temp of 130 or so is reached.  This takes about three and a half hours for a 12 lb bird.

Next finish in The Big Easy to crisp up the skin.

Done

ArnieM

Hi SS.  Nice looking bird and thanks for the time example.

It looks like you're using the poultry rack from Bayou.  Is that correct?  I was about to buy one today from Amazon but the reviews weren't so great.  How do you like it?  Are you using a metal dowel to suspend the rack?  Does the tray at the bottom interfere with the reflected heat from the bottom of the TBE?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

SS I love the color on that Turkey It looks great.

HR

Savannahsmoker

ArnieM, the rod is a rotisserie spit and the turkey holder is one I got from Basspro shop.  Now as far as interfering look at the turkey and see what you think.
Thanks HR

bluefrog

Speaking of crisping up the skin of chicken or turkey, I read somewhere that if you rubbed the skin with corn starch that it would crisp up at smoking temps.  Has anyone else heard this or even better, has anyone tried it?

Scott

Savannahsmoker

At smoking temps corn starch, butter nor olive crisped up the skin for me.

Smokin Soon

I'm with Sav on that one. The final "flash cook crisping" after a slow cook is the only way to go after poultry has been smoked to prevent the "rubber skin" syndrome. The corn starch sprinkle did not work for me too well at all, but that is just my experience.

Hopefull Romantic

There has been a couple of posts talking about smoking / cooking chicken at 250 and they were able to get to a good level of crisyness. I know they were talking about chicken and wonder if that would work with Turkey.

HR