smoking turkey in a Bradley smoker

Started by dumoch126, November 14, 2009, 09:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

If it works for chicken, should work for Turkey....I think.

I'm on tap for something work related (as in actual work) over the T-day holiday  :-[ , so no smoked, then fried turkey for me (as I planned).  Gonna go smoke only this year.   :)

Course, Xmas is only a month later, so...... ;D

Savannahsmoker

Smoking at a smoke temp of 250 has never giving my chicken, turkey or duck crisp skin.  That is back in the day with my Lang, Weber, Double Barrel and now with the Traeger.  Maybe this works in the Bradley smoker and if it does I will buy a Bradley tomorrow.

msaimee

Thanks for all the good info.  This year I am Roasting (in oven), BBQing (in weber performer) and Smoking (in Bradley).  I have three birds and 24 people coming to my house.  I am going to brine all three birds overnight.  I can gauge the time of the BBQ and oven fairly well, but the smoker I am still a newbie at it and wondering how to gauge time.  I read 220 about 16 min a pound, does that sound correct?  I want my birds to come out all around the same time.  The Bradley Bird is 10.7 Pnd.  Dinner is at 3:00.

FLBentRider

Quote from: msaimee on November 24, 2009, 07:19:28 AM
Thanks for all the good info.  This year I am Roasting (in oven), BBQing (in weber performer) and Smoking (in Bradley).  I have three birds and 24 people coming to my house.  I am going to brine all three birds overnight.  I can gauge the time of the BBQ and oven fairly well, but the smoker I am still a newbie at it and wondering how to gauge time.  I read 220 about 16 min a pound, does that sound correct?  I want my birds to come out all around the same time.  The Bradley Bird is 10.7 Pnd.  Dinner is at 3:00.

I wish I could be more accurate, but I've had birds take 5 hours and some take 7.

I would think a 10lb bird (I would leave it out for 30-45 minutes before smoking) would take about 5-6 hours at most.

I would apply 2 to four hours of smoke at 250F.

I'll be doing one in my BPS myself.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!