Beer Can Turkey

Started by Back Yard Smoker, November 14, 2009, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back Yard Smoker

i have a few folks coming for thanksgiving and im going to be cooking 4 - 18 to 20 lb. turkeys and 3 hams
the hams i can handle
the turkeys im going to try for the first time like i would with beercan chicken

any ideas i need to do
seasoning and oliveoil or butter to baste the outside with want a darkish brown color and

im not going to use a beer can or a fosters can
what do i need ?
i have heard some call them towers that you sit the bird on
going to need 4 of these things
what are they actually called

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Do a google search for a rack called "turkey cannon".  Same premise as the beer can chicken but designed to handle a turkey.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Back Yard Smoker

is there a tower that the turkey sits down on that looks something like one of them fireworks that sit on the square base and about 2 to 3 inch around and about 6 inches high and you can fill the canister as the cooking process is going on

squirtthecat

Quotes there a tower that the turkey sits down on that looks something like one of them fireworks that sit on the square base and about 2 to 3 inch around and about 6 inches high and you can fill the canister as the cooking process is going on

Yes, I've seen something like that at various cooking stores.

KyNola

BYS,
Don't know where you're located but I was in our local Gander Mountain store yesterday. They had the turkey cannon and other turkey cooking racks.

KyNola

Back Yard Smoker

thanks thats all you had to say was gander mountain i will go check them out

KyNola

And with that BYS was gone!  Just like he was shot out of a "turkey cannon".  <groan>  Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

KyNola