Whoops, but turned out pretty good anyway with a cut I did not know.

Started by Caneyscud, November 15, 2009, 07:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Uhh,  did not realize I had forgotten to clean - yuck, but a little soap and water cured it. 

Was in Sams the other day and saw these off the side.  Can't say I have ever heard of this cut around here - and don't really know what it is.  But sounded good!

Had to be good - it was prime!

Simple "rub"

All dressed up - went into middle rack of Bradley set at 230 for 4 hours of hickory.  Wanted to take out at about 138 or so, but lost track of time took out at 144.

Cut

Plated with Cesear Salad and some Itty bitty potatoes with butter and cream cheese.  Pretty darn good!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Uh, that little cleaning mishap?  I did exactly the same thing.  Opened the box and said "Oh $%!?*".  Didn't take long to rectify the situation though but boy it's a shock the first time it happens.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Newbie cleaning tip.  As in a bad tip.   As in a 'thereIfixedit.com' moment.

After my 30 hour smoke last weekend, my vtray was packed with goo.  So I thought I would just flip it over on my gasser and burn the grease off.   ::)

KyNola - you might have seen the cloud plume from your house.

My temp gauge wrapped all the way past 600, down to the 'B' in Weber.  And that was minutes after I turned the gas off.

You could smell the metal breaking down...    It'll never look the same now.  ;)

hal4uk

That's funny!
(why am I not surprised?)

My grill is a Lowe's special running Natural Gas, which is convenient, but it has to warm up on high for at least 20 minutes to get a good sear on steak...

STC's Weber, on the other hand, will melt diamonds on LOW...
It's the hottest running grill I've ever seen.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Pachanga

Carneyscud,

Why is there no surprised look on my face that you took an unknown cut and turn it out perfect? 

Nice.

Was alcohol a contributing factor in the loss of time?

Good luck and you deserve another cold one,

Pachanga

Tenpoint5

Yep we have all done that one Caney. Late night smoke, I'll clean it in the morning, next weekend what the Heck is that? Who was using my smoker and didn't clean it? Oh yeah I forgot to clean it last weekend.
Looks like the Beef turned out great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Brad Stab

Prime beef butt is great for steaks and whole roasting with a pan jus. Was the meat tender with that thick of a cut? Just curious.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Caneyscud

Brad, It was actually quite tender - not quite rib roast tender but awful close I reckon.  Not sure where the cut comes from.  I suspect it is from the round, but a butcher I was talking to a few months ago about a cut some where cutting that came from the chuck.  Not the chuck eye, but another hidden muscle.  

BTW leftover cuts between two slabs of bread with mayo, horseradish, and some black pepper is remarkable. 

Brad Stab

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 15, 2009, 04:54:41 PM
Brad, It was actually quite tender - not quite rib roast tender but awful close I reckon.  Not sure where the cut comes from.  I suspect it is from the round, but a butcher I was talking to a few months ago about a cut some where cutting that came from the chuck.  Not the chuck eye, but another hidden muscle.  

BTW leftover cuts between two slabs of bread with mayo, horseradish, and some black pepper is remarkable. 

The sandwich sounds excellent. I would assume your cut actually came from a part of the primal short loin, (about hip level) than into a sub-primal from the beef loin and futher sub of top sirloin butt.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Pachanga

Carneyscud,

You just had to mention a rib roast.  I smoked a standing rib roast in the Bradley that was some of the best beef I have ever eaten and those at the table agreed.  I got it from a friend in the wholesale beef business to restaurants.  It was one fine piece of meat.  I did not like the price tag too much, though.  I think I pulled it at 125 degrees after a several hour smoke.  I would have to go to my notes to be sure.

Thanks for the memories,

Pachanga

Caneyscud

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 15, 2009, 05:35:02 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on November 15, 2009, 04:54:41 PM

The sandwich sounds excellent. I would assume your cut actually came from a part of the primal short loin, (about hip level) than into a sub-primal from the beef loin and futher sub of top sirloin butt.
I also think it is part of the short loin.  I does not look like anything I've seen from the chuck.  And also does not remind me of sirloin. 

Caneyscud

Quote from: Pachanga on November 15, 2009, 06:02:58 PM
Carneyscud,

You just had to mention a rib roast.  I smoked a standing rib roast in the Bradley that was some of the best beef I have ever eaten and those at the table agreed.  I got it from a friend in the wholesale beef business to restaurants.  It was one fine piece of meat.  I did not like the price tag too much, though.  I think I pulled it at 125 degrees after a several hour smoke.  I would have to go to my notes to be sure.

Thanks for the memories,

Pachanga

Pachanga, glad you had good look with the standing rib roast.  I've done a standing rib roast in the Bandera, and 1/2 or a rib roast in the Bradley, and for some reason neither myself nor my family thought that either were anything to brag about.  But they both really liked this Butt.  And at less than 1/2 the price - I'm really glad.  I have a friend that 25 years ago, I would buy thousands of cabinets from.  Cabinets was his moonlighting job, he worked at the Oscar Meyer plant here.  I don't know what all this plant produced, but I do know it did produce a lot of Prime Rib.  Couple of times a month he'd call and ask if we wanted a couple of whole prime ribs.  Boy, we ate good those years.  I went from my college weight to pretty much where I am now.  Prime Rib Powered.  We'd cut at least 1" slices off and slap them on a smokey wood fire for a little flavoring.  Man, I wish they had not of closed the plant.