QUESTIONS.

Started by FLOSS, March 07, 2005, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLOSS

First, I love to smoke ribs, if I bought the sausage rack and hung them, would it work and also would they smoke evenly. Also, what does the term FTC mean ? If anyone could help I would appreciate it....
Thanx,

oguard

Floss, Welcome to the forum.[:)]F.T.C. is foil towel cooler when you pull meat from the smoker you want to wrap it in tin foil then wrap it in a dry towel then place it in a dry cooler (no ice).This helps the meat to keep cooking and breakdown connective tissue(it makes the meat happy[:)])I've never hung my ribs just lay them on the racks but i've heard of some members hanging them.[;)]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>[8D]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FLOSS</i>
<br />First, I love to smoke ribs, if I bought the sausage rack and hung them, would it work and also would they smoke evenly. Also, what does the term FTC mean ? If anyone could help I would appreciate it....
Thanx,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Arial"><font size="3"><center></center><font color="maroon">Hey Floss,
I'm with you.  I love ribs, too. Hanging the ribs doesn't sound like a good idea to me because if they are cooked correctly they should be so tender that the weight of the ribs would cause them to fall to the bottom of the smoker.  You can get rib racks like the ones used on grills that will allow you to place about four racks on their edges in less space than one rack would laying flat. I think that would allow you to cook about 8-12 racks per shelf in the Bradley. (If you can afford them!)

Here is an example of what I am referring to.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004U9VC/qid=1110973618/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-outdoor/102-6194826-9596159?v=glance&s=garden&n=286168

Of course, you could hang them and know that they are done when they fall. Ha!

Sure wish I had a rack or two right now, I would have them for breakfast!

"Pig meat is good to eat!"

Don</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

nsxbill

I used one of Smokehouse Rob's racks on my last BB ribs.  I hung them.  They turned out great.  I had to be very gentle removing from hooks as they almost broke off because they were so tender.  

Although I removed the membrane,  there is still enough body to keep them together for the entire smoke without them falling off the bone, but again, you have to be very gentle mopping and removing at the end of the smoke.

I have the Weber racks that Sauce refers to, but I like the hanging just because you don't have the messy cleanup post-smoke  They hang a little higher and you don't have to rotate shelves mid smoke and then lose temperature of the cabinet with the door open so long.   When they are done you just have to clean the hooks and V-shaped pan and of course, water bowl.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

gotbbq

I'm with Bill,

I almost always hang my ribs.  You just have to catch them on the hook a few ribs in.  They are as tender as can be, but have never fallen off the hanger.  One cool thing is that you don't have to flip or move the trays.  Also holds full slabs, which is a nice presentation.  Either way, all good-[^][^][^]  

Kirk sells a sausage hook for the bs that can hold the ribs.

gotbbq