Dry Curing Cabinet - In Development.

Started by Habanero Smoker, November 16, 2009, 02:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Habs

The pepperoni and chorizo look excellent!  ;)

That's sure a pretty good swing on the humidity level in the fridge setup. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand you indicated the humidity rises (slowly or rapidly?) until the fridge kicks in, then the humidity drops (slowly or rapidly?). Let me know if this is correct. If I can figure out anything that might help I'll shoot you a pm.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Deb,

Thanks. I can't wait until you start making cheese. I really want to try that.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 07, 2009, 03:35:41 PM
Looks Awesome Habs. When can I place my order?
Thanks!

Maybe by the time it gets there the chorizo will be more firm. :)

Mike;

That is correct, but it depends on what stage. I would also say the humidity rose at a moderate rate, and it would get back in the 60's within 10 minutes. Once it got into the 60's the rate of increase slowed until it peaked. This is during the time I had disconnected the humidifier. Then over time as the sausage dried it didn't emit moisture as much moisture, and as sausage was removed the recover was real slow, so I had to turn on the humidifier. After some adjusting I found if I set the humidifier to 55%, it would bring the humidity up fast enough so that the moisture from the sausage would quickly bring it into the 60's. Once in the 60's it would continue to slowly rise, until it peaked.

At the beginning the humidity would peak in the 90's until I could fan it out. When the cabinet RH dropped down to 50% I would close the door, and it would steadily rise at a moderate pace. During that time when the refrigerator cycled on it would drop in the high 60's to low 70's. This is without the assistance of a humidifier. I was fanning out the refrigerator at least 4 times a day.

After the pepperoni was removed, and the sausages had dried for about 15 days. The humidity would peak in the mid 80's occasionally hitting 88%. When the refrigerator cycled on it would drop in the 60's. The rate of recovery was about the same. Again, this is without the assistance of a humidifier; fanning out the refrigerator at least 4 times a day.

After the chorizo was removed the RH could get in the high 80's, but generally it was in the low 80's. When the refrigerator cycles on it will get in the high 40's, and would slowly recover. At this point I turned on the humidifier, to assist the humidity back into the 60's quickly, then the RH would slowly rise into the low 80's. I am still fanning about 4 times per day. The last couple of cycles, the humidity seems to be peeking at 75%, after dropping into the 40's.

If you come up with anything I would appreciated. The best solution would for an air exchange, but as you know I don't want to cut any holes in the refrigerator. The dehumidifier, may be the answer to the problem in the earlier stages of drying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 08, 2009, 02:21:29 AM
Deb,

Thanks. I can't wait until you start making cheese. I really want to try that.

My cousin is coming over on Sunday, we are doing Mascarpone for Christmas desserts.  Also Farmhouse Cheddar which unfortunately won't be ready for Christmas or the Superbowl (assuming it works :D).  If either work I will post. 

The farmhouse cheddar has an room temp air dry then gets waxed (food saver also works but I bought red wax - figured it was x-mas like) so I don't have to worry about humidity just  temperature.  My parents brought me my brothers old dorm fridge for the time being.  He's 43 so you can do the math on how old the fridge is.  I guess I should plug it in and see what temps it runs at (they tell me it still works).  My son is transferring to a different college in January and I may end up with with his 4.3 cf fridge since I imagine his roommate will already have one.   I still need to order the controller.

Another member is also going to be joining me in the cheese quest so stay tuned ;D

brianl

Habanero Smoker

I have only attempted dry-cured sausage once at this point, but it turned out OK.  Not perfect, but I didn't have any mold issues.

I used a solution of propylene glycol and distilled water, 50/50.  The propylene glycol is supposed to keep the humidity at 70%, releasing and absorbing the moisture as required.  It's also supposed to help with mold.  Go to a floral store and buy an Oasis sponge, used for cut flowers, it absorbs _alot_ of liquid.  Saturate the sponge, and place it in a container in your fridge.  While I didn't see a rock-solid 70%, it never hit 80%, and only dropped below 60% when the compressor turned on.  I'm using a wine cooler, BTW.

I got the idea from the cigar smokers.  Apparently humidor conditions are the same as a dry-curing sausage box, 70% humidity, a bit of air circulation, and an aversion to mold.

Propylene glycol can be purchased at your local pharmacy, look for one that does compunding, they are more likely to have it.  If they don't they can order it in.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Habanero Smoker

I'll be waiting to read you posts. Before you buy the controller, test your refrigerator to see if the built in thermostat will maintain the temperatures you need. You may not have to purchase one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Brian;

Thanks for the information. I've know about propylene glycol, but didn't know of a source. Salt also acts in a similar way, and suppose to stabilize the humidity around 75%. I may try that after experimenting with salt and water. I tried the salt and water, in my small beverage cooler, but once it cycled on the RH never got above the high forties. I'm not sure how either method will act, when I have the cabinet filled with 15 - 20 pounds of sausage.

How large was your cabinet, and how much sausage were you dry curing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

brianl

Habanero Smoker

It's a small GE 30-bottle wine cooler, on the website they list it at 4.1 cubic feet.  I only had 5lbs of soppressata in it.

Interestingly enough, I just unplugged it when the soppressata was done, and left the sponge in the cooler with the temp/humidity display.  It's been sitting for about 1 1/2 months, and the humidity was 76%, FWIW.  No mold, either (and it's 21C in there).

Hope that helps,

Brian

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the feed back. I don't believe that method would work that well with a in my larger cabinet, with a much fuller load. Maybe if it was not a self defrosting model it may work.

I had 18 pounds of meat in my cabinet; 5 lbs. pepperoni, 5 lbs. chorizo, 5 lbs of salami, and 3 lbs of bresaola. Though I may try that setup with a smaller load, but my test trial with salt and water in a pan, with not meat or sausage in the cabinet, the cabinet would not maintain RH above the 40's.

Right now there is a 4 lbs. of salami, and 2.5 lbs. of bresaola in the cabinet. The salami is at a 25% loss, and the bresaola is around 16% loss. They have been in there for a while, and give off less moisture. The past day or two it has been staying in the mid 60's, dropping down into the 40's when it cycles on, but the humidifier quickly brings it back up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Time for another update:

The salami was finished a few days ago, and I'm really pleased with the results. My only regret is that I misplaced my notes. This is what I called a Hybrid-Salami. I combined what I thought was the best of two different recipes (Tuscan and Hungarian), and came up with a unique salami. The average weight loss was 34%.

Sorry for the blurriness. I'm going to have to invest in a macro lens.

That only leave the bresaola, but that does not seem to be curing correctly. To date it has lost 24% of its weight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Wow,  that looks great!  Got to get the cheese thing down so I can get started on sausage. 

Tenpoint5

Looks great Habs. BTW if you take the pic with your camera then open the picture on the camera and zoom in and save you don't get the blurry. My wife taught me that trick.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

I definitely have to make some cheese. Your look great.

Cris;

Thanks. I have a SLR digital, with a zoom lens, and no optical zoom. I've been needing a reason to purchase a new lens anyway. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

3rensho

Beautiful salami Habs.  Really like the distribution of fat and pepper in the cross section.  Mine came out tasting great but is very homogeneous.  Will try to emulate you next time.  That mix that you talked about has given me some ideas.  I gotta try some paprika types for sure.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I need to try to make some Carne Salata; your post has inspired me to make that next time. That looks so delicious.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

seemore

habs that looks great my hat is off to you
seemore