Greetings from Utah

Started by babybacks, November 17, 2009, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babybacks

CRG, I agree, there is a learning curve. I've been using my Bradley for almost 3 years, hopefully I'm past the initial learning curve by now  :), although I admit, there is always more to learn. The problem was I re-wired the smoker (bypassing the switch) so it only turns on at the maximum heat output. Then I have to unplug it to cool it down, resulting in some fairly substantial temperature swings.

I have been considering purchasing a PID. Even when the temperature control slider was working, I still had to closely monitor the temperature of the smoker checking on it about every 1/2 hour or so. It seems a PID truly would let me set it and forget it, and hopefully provide more consistent results.

I was looking at the one made by Auber Instruments http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72&zenid=38001d868de99343a9fb7e8cbb245ce5. Are there any others that are recommended?

I suppose if I bought a PID, I wouldn't even need the new switch I ordered.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: babybacks on December 01, 2009, 09:02:49 AM
CRG, I agree, there is a learning curve. I've been using my Bradley for almost 3 years, hopefully I'm past the initial learning curve by now  :), although I admit, there is always more to learn. The problem was I re-wired the smoker (bypassing the switch) so it only turns on at the maximum heat output. Then I have to unplug it to cool it down, resulting in some fairly substantial temperature swings.

I have been considering purchasing a PID. Even when the temperature control slider was working, I still had to closely monitor the temperature of the smoker checking on it about every 1/2 hour or so. It seems a PID truly would let me set it and forget it, and hopefully provide more consistent results.

I was looking at the one made by Auber Instruments http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72&zenid=38001d868de99343a9fb7e8cbb245ce5. Are there any others that are recommended?

I suppose if I bought a PID, I wouldn't even need the new switch I ordered.

Perfect timing babybacks. I just received my Auber PID yesterday and it's been on since 5 pm with a pork butt in the Bradley. I have it set at 225, right now it shows 226 and my Maverick is showing 228 (the Auber sensor is in the front and the Maverick is in the back). Only a couple of degrees in temperature fluctuation either way. By the way, I have the DBS6 and got tired of the poor temperature control and the PID looks like the way to go.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

BB, I should have re-read this post (I trusted my old failing memory)

I now understand what your problem was with keeping the temp constant.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

watchdog56

babyback-that is the one to get. You will love it and if you do a pork butt or brisket at least you will be able to sleep at night not worrying about temp.

babybacks

That does sounds nice to sleep at night during a long smoke. Right now my method is to use a remote thermometer that sounds an alarm if the temp gets too hot or too cold, then I wake up and adjust the temperature accordingly. Sounds like it would be well worth the money.

It would be nice if Bradley could team up with someone like Auber for the next generation product so users can get the PID experience out of the box with a consistent temperature. I'm assuming this was their attempt with the digital smoker line, but from what I hear (please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't used one), they still have temperature regulation problems, and people will add a PID onto those as well.

Parts still didn't come today. I just emailed Bradley, hopefully they can at least get me a tracking number soon.

babybacks

Alright, here is the picture of my wiring job to bypass the switch on the OBS:

I ended up using 14 gauge wire, as it was the only type I had handy at the time.

And here is the bird, after finishing in the oven:

The flavor was good, but it was a little dry.

I finally received my new faceplate and switch today, so it looks like I'm back in business.

Thanks everyone for the help.

babybacks

And here is a picture of my new cold smoke adapter.

KevinG

Don't show that to Quarlows cat! ;)
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on December 02, 2009, 07:59:03 PM

Meow  ??? ???  The cats love to play in cardboard boxes.  With my wife, we always seem to have plenty of empty boxes.  I was thinking of taping one up and sending it to Ka Hanu for evaluation  ;D

OK, back on topic.  Nice looking setup BB.  I had done the same.  I was thinking of getting a heavy plastic storage box to use instead of the cardboard; a bit more permanent.  Of course, at this time of year around here, I really don't need an adapter.  >:(

We really a 'pioneering' type.  When I got my current electric range, there was no "Get some bricks.  Get some dryer vent hose and a cardboard box.  Cut a hole in the back and install a fan."  It would have been long outa here.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Was that your cat in the picture ArnieM? I started the last comment with your name, but then I went back and saw the post by Quarlow and thought I screwed up and modified it to his.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on December 02, 2009, 08:14:49 PM
Quote from: KevinG on December 02, 2009, 07:59:03 PM

Meow  ??? ???  The cats love to play in cardboard boxes.  With my wife, we always seem to have plenty of empty boxes.  I was thinking of taping one up and sending it to Ka Hanu for evaluation  ;D

OK, back on topic.  Nice looking setup BB.  I had done the same.  I was thinking of getting a heavy plastic storage box to use instead of the cardboard; a bit more permanent.  Of course, at this time of year around here, I really don't need an adapter.  >:(

We really a 'pioneering' type.  When I got my current electric range, there was no "Get some bricks.  Get some dryer vent hose and a cardboard box.  Cut a hole in the back and install a fan."  It would have been long outa here.  ;D

Did you get KaHanu for the Xmas exchange? Would be kinda like Xmas Vacation with the cat in the box.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Ka Hanu didn't get in the exchange.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on December 02, 2009, 08:19:13 PM
Was that your cat in the picture ArnieM? I started the last comment with your name, but then I went back and saw the post by Quarlow and thought I screwed up and modified it to his.

Nope, that wasn't Allie but there is a certain similarity from the butt end  ;D  I'll get a few pics together and PM them to you.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Glad you got your parts, now get that baby back together and smoke something.

That turkey looks dam good to me, lots of juice in the pan, may be baste it a few times next time.