Building a smoke tube

Started by Ninjak, November 18, 2009, 06:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjak

hello I was wondering if it would be ok to build my self a smoke tube that goes up and to the top of my inclosed deck. so i can smoke on my deck when i say inclosed i mean the top :)..

AL

Hopefull Romantic

I am not sure there is enough information in your post to try and help you.

You have  a bradley smoker and you have in on an enclosed (covered) deck and you would like to built a tube for the smoke to go through from the vent to a window or an openning in your deck. Is that correct.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KevinG

I think that's where he was going HR. Sounds like he needs to run a long tube up out the top of the roof. Probably will need a fan to help draw the smoke out, but who knows, maybe it would work without one if he gets some good cross winds.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ninjak

sorry guys yes that is what i was talking about. The tube would be about 3 feet in lengh

AL

oakville smoker

Looking forward to hearing this solution
Winter is coming here and I am thinking off moving my DBS to the sun room
I thought I might use a stove pipe and vent the smoke out the window as the sun room is attached to the house.
The back of the house always gets pumelled with snow and this would protect it from the wind and snow, although it will always be below about 35 to 40 degres
The sun room has louvre style windows, I might even have to try to figure out how to remove them
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

pensrock

I do not see any big problems using 3 feet of pipe to get the smoke away from the area you are smoking in. I would just make sure the vent is open and there is a cap or something to keep wind and rain/snow from getting into the pipe and coming down into the smoker.

ArnieM

I can't give any first hand experience but have read a number of threads here where people attempt to vent the smoker.  Some seemed to work.  I hope those people chime in here.

One major problem is that it isn't just smoke.  There's a lot of water vapor in there.  It can condense inside the pipe because the pipe is cold and run back down to the smoker.  That's not good.  It would seem like a minimal vertical run would be good.  Also, providing an air gap between the top of the smoker and the bottom of the pipe allows for some fresh air to get sucked in.

Of course, if you're in an enclosed area, you don't want to open the door during the smoking cycle.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.