Crunch Bread

Started by Oldman, November 20, 2009, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Crunch Bread

It has been quite some time since I last shared a recipe with this community. Below is a recipe for white bread that we call Crunch Bread. Originally, the recipe came out of the book "The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book.." First copyright 1897. The book belonged to my wife's Grandmother.

If you can find a copy of this book I suggest you purchase one at any cost. The recipes in it are outstanding. Once you figure out the terminology – for example: "Try out the fat back" which means to render out the fat or when it says place into a "Hot" oven what the heck is hot? 300F or 600F– then you will be able to dress your dinning table with the foods that your Grand or Great Grandparents enjoyed.

Crunch Bread (Family White Loaf)

1 Tbs lard
1 Tbs butter
2 tsp salts
1 3/4 cups boiling water
1/4 cup condensed milk
1 yeast cake (I use dry yeast 5/16 ounce. 8.75g)
1/4 cup lukewarm water
6 cups all purpose flour.

Put lard, butter and salt in a bread mixer or a bowl. Add the boiling water and condensed milk. When it is lukewarm, add the yeast that has been dissolved in lukewarm water. Add 5 cups of flour. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Add remaining flour. Knead unit mixture is smooth. (I only mix the last cup in the bowl and just stir.) Cover with towel or bread board. Let is rise at 65F until double in size. (About 3 hours.) Cut down or break it down. Place in two bread pans. Allow to rise again to double it size. Place in oven at 350F. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. NO LONGER! The original recipe called for 55 minutes baked in a hot oven.

The outside crusty area really adds to the flavor. Butter the outside before serving.

Enjoy!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

classicrockgriller

SLICE me a piece now! WOW!

Thanks for the post and recipe and history.

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks Olds. I have been looking aroud for a good bread recipe.

I was just wondering, could I substitude the lard with Ghee?

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

Looks good, I'm going to ask my sister to make some. She's the baker in the family, I would just screw it up somehow.  ;D

deb415611

Cool Olds.  I love bread!

Quote from: pensrock on November 20, 2009, 03:56:12 AM
Looks good, I'm going to ask my sister to make some. She's the baker in the family, I would just screw it up somehow.  ;D

You can do it Pens!!   Did you think you could make pizza a year ago?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: deb415611 on November 20, 2009, 04:26:38 AM
Cool Olds.  I love bread!

Quote from: pensrock on November 20, 2009, 03:56:12 AM

You can do it Pens!!   Did you think you could make pizza a year ago?

Hey deb, that is a great boost of moral to all of us.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Olds, is this the same one?

Amazon linked image

Tenpoint5

If it is the same book. Squirt look inside the front cover on the first couple of pages and find the ISBN: number and please post that number. With that number you can google the number and it will tell you everything about the book and where to buy it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I found a bunch of used copies of it on Amazon, mostly old library books.  (that was an Amazon image)

ISBN-10: 0517186780

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0517186780/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

[edit]

I went ahead a snagged a used library book reprint...   Thanks Olds!

Oldman

Our copy is the 1923 edition.

QuoteI was just wondering, could I substitude the lard with Ghee?

Hady
I have no idea...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tenpoint5

I am willing to bet there isn't a ISBN # in that copy Old's!! Nice original
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

That's very cool.   Old cookbooks are something I would love to collect someday when I have extra $.  Right now I'm stuck with buying $100+ text books that are hopefully getting read.

3rensho

Thanks for the post Olds. When I saw that I knew I had to make it.  Mine came out of the oven 30 minutes ago.  Crunchy even when slathered with sweet butter.  Good stuff.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Oldman

Quote from: 3rensho on November 20, 2009, 07:32:06 AM
Thanks for the post Olds. When I saw that I knew I had to make it.  Mine came out of the oven 30 minutes ago.  Crunchy even when slathered with sweet butter.  Good stuff.
I put what is left over in a zip lock bag. The next day the the "Crunchy" is soft but the bread is just great.

Glad you liked it~~!
Olds

HCT

Thanks Olds. I'll definately give it a bake. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"