Favorite Cheeses to Smoke?

Started by anderson5420, November 20, 2009, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

Wife wants me to do a bit of smoked cheese, now that I can do cold smoking easily...

What are the best ones to smoke first? Are there any ones you wouldn't bother smoking?

Thanks!
So many recipes, so little time!

mikeradio

My fav is Cheddar with apple smoke.

Mike

squirtthecat

I did cheddar, swiss and colby with Pecan, and brought them to work.

Cheddar/swiss were the favorites, by far.   The colby was weird.  Not sure how to describe it.

Apple would be a nice mild smoke.

manxman

Mature (?sharp) cheddar is my favourite either with oak or apple. Smoked stilton is nice too.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

My favorite to smoke is Gouda. Just remove the coating (not the rind) prior to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I have done many kinds including exotic. All came out okay. Just let your imagination run wild and you will not be disappointed.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

seemore

horseradish cheese is a hit but they were drinking
seemore

deb415611

I even smoked some Cabot 75% light Cheddar and it was good!

Ka Honu

My standbys are cheddar (a no-brainer) and jack (which, among its many uses, grates nicely into various Mexican recipes).  Tried some pepper jack yesterday but will have to wait a while before judging success.

Tenpoint5

Haven't found a bad one yet. Pepper Jack is always a big hit with Hickory.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Here is my list from the most popular to the least.
1. Cooper Sharp American, I can never have enough of this around, everyone loves it. I think this is only available in a small area.
2. Horseradish, if you like horseradish, this is a must do.
3. Good NY Cheddar.
4. American pepper cheese, for some reason most around here do not care for the pepper jack after smoking.
5. Swiss
6. Velvetta, great for nachos and grilled sammies.
7. Everyday good ole American. Some people eat nothing else?

I have done a bunch of others but only a little here and there although if I could get a block of the hab/peno cheese I had a small piece of, I would do that again anytime.

seemore

Pens, I did not even know that they made an American pepper cheese.  I will have to try that.
KUDOS on the smoked Velveeta, too.  It makes a neat variance on macaroni and cheese.
I have to agree with 10.5:  never run into a smoked cheese I did not like.
Smoked Stilton, eh, manxman?  I am intrigued and will have to try this.
seemore

anderson5420

Did not occur to ask before, but I assume smoking cheese for an hour or two is ample, correct?  I am not talking about huge rounds or anytthing...
So many recipes, so little time!

pensrock

It depends on your taste. I would start with a couple hours, then see how well you like it. Next time you can adjust. I normally go 3-4 hours. Swiss seems to smoke the fastest and I normally take it out before the others.

Caribou

I've only smoked one batch of cheese thus far but my favorite was the pepper jack with an hour of pecan.
Carolyn