My Review----SINBO VS-280 vacuum packer

Started by Oldman, March 10, 2005, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

First the unit was shipped during the time-line that Doug said it would be shipped.

Next, there is a somewhat of a learning curve to this unit. If you are a member of the <b>Shake and Bake I want an Auto-Sealer Crowd</b> this unit is not for you.

[img=right]http://www.dow-mgc.org/Rayeimages/bradley/grape-0.jpg[/img=right]

My first couple attempts turned out to be less than I would have liked. The vacuum retraction nozzle can grab the bag  itself. When this happens you can hear a major change in the way the vacuum motor sounds. Pulling on the bag to correct this can cause you a bad seal if you pull to much. On small items in a big bag, i.e. 5 grapes at the bottom of the bag I got around this problem by using a paper towel at the top of the bag.

Now this unit as I understand it is suppost to lock down. Mine will "Click" like it is locking but the left hand side of it as you are facing the unit will not lock tight enough. So during the vacuuming process I have to apply downward pressure to the top of the unit.

The bar on the top of the unit is used to release the vacuum retraction nozzle. Touch it and the nozzle go shooting up into the unit. At that point the sealing process starts. The red light flashes during this sealing process and continues to do so until you hear a Tone. At that point you release your downward pressure on the unit then  push down on both front corners to release the lock. <b>NOTE</b> There is no moisture trap. There is an inline filter that is accessed from the rear of the unit.

[img=left]http://www.dow-mgc.org/Rayeimages/bradley/crushedcan-0.jpg[/img=left]

SMOKEHOUSE ROB asked if it would crush a soad can. The can did crushed up pretty good. What you cannot see in this picute is the cans side are totally crushed together. The back end of the can is bend inwards. Only the front of the can with the reforced top is not bent in.  Then again I could have put a truck mounted unit on it at 18Mg and not bent crushed the top lid.

[img=right]http://www.dow-mgc.org/Rayeimages/bradley/mag-0.jpg[/img=right]

I also vacuum one of my wife's National Geographic Magazines. I believe I got my best vacuum of all of my test items with the magazine. I was able to place the tip of the nozzle into the very top of the magazine. After sealing that magazine was almost wood hard--it was really stiff.

Now that I own this unit would I purchase another one? Yes I would. This is a neat little unit. Somewhat of a learning curve, but <b>it does what it is suppost to do.</b> Given its performance, cost and the cost of the bags when purchasing this unit from Doug At DCE I can say without a doubt I'm sure glad I found this unit before I purchase a unit that needs those expensive bags.

On another note, I have spoke with Chez and couple of other members who I have phone numbers for about inviting Doug to share his knowledge in this field with us here on the Bradley Forums. This all came about due to my second conversation with Doug. He began to explain all of the ends and outs of various machines, bags, and one thing and another. At that point I said to myself, "Hold the phone Martha, hold the phone! This guy got a wealth of cross knowledge in this area and it should be shared with the members here."  At this point he has been invited to join us... Who knows we might just convert him into a Smokin' Warrior~~LOL!

In closing I believe Doug would be willing to get us boilable bags in smaller amounts if a few of us purchased the unit from him. <b>I will contact him tomarrow concerning this issure.</b>

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Springville Pop

Olds,
Well, here I am. Glad you like your sealer!

I'm going to bring in one size of boilable pouch to have available in 100 count packs. That will be either an 8 x 12 or 10 x 12. Both of these sizes will work with the Sinbo. Any feedback on which size would be better would be appreciated. Of course, all the other sizes are available in full case quantities (1000 or 2000 depending on size.)

I'll be looking for any topics that really fit my expertise which is vacuum packaging and vacuum tumbling. I will sure try not to be too commercial in my posts! If I get carried away I'm sure someone will call it to my attention (nicely, of course [;)] ) And who knows, maybe you will convert me!

Doug

www.dougcare.com/

Oldman

Springville Pop (what a neat name)

I'm sure the group will let you know what size(s) they are interested in.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Will the bags work in any sealer?
Several of the members here have ordered Reveo tumblers.  Any pointers you could offer would be great.  Thanks.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Will the bags work in any sealer?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">These bags will not work in home units. i.e. Food Saver types.

Next, I just took two good size sirlon steaks when I got done vacuuming them they looked about  about 1/2 as thick. I put one in the freeze and the other on is in my extra refrig with the temp at 37 F degrees. Going to leave it in there through this month and then see what it is like. This ought to be interesting.

Olds

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnintx1</i>
<br />...You could spend hundreds more for many units ,but why would you...?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Because they're bigger, have lots of dials and buttons, are shiny SS, and I get bragging rights at least until the next model comes out!![:D][;)][:D] Confessions of an appliance junkie, John[:D][;)][8D]

Sounds like the B&D is a good little unit for the cost and my Scot side (Matheson Clan) appreciates your good solid advice on costs, John. However, there's several valid reasons, at least for me, to consider other than just capitol cost outlay.....Living in a remote area, I can't just bop down to the local Wally World and buy ANYTHING......it's a 4 hour drive[xx(]  So, I MUST always consider longevity, reliability, shipping, service, warranty down-time, parts/accessory availability, storage, etc......

Right now, I get my meat for "free" and I'm still sucking the life outta my Foodsaver/Costco special that I bought back in 2002[;)][:D][8D]  Little sucker won't quit, but it's getting reeeeal close to a point of diminishing return....at US $.45/bag compared to the Binford 5000's cost of around  US $.06-.07/bag and my bag usage rate of about 1500-2000/year, it only takes a few years to pay for the Big Bad Boy of sealers with the bag cost savings.....All said and done, I'm still saving my $$ for the big Kahuna......an Italian made one bag chamber sealer for around $2300[:0] Might hafta sell the ol' mint 75 Yamaha TT500 single 4 cycle to pull that off....wait, NO....keep the bike, sell the housecat....NO, cat's only worth $0.00....Keep the bike, KIDNAP the housecat and ransom back to wife, THAT's IT!!....Here kitty, kitty, kitty![}:)][}:)][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Oldman

I went to the B&D home site. I could not find this unit so I wrote to them the following E-mail. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A member of my food community told me about a food vacuume sealer you sell. I cannot find it or any information concerning it as well as to the price of vacuum rolls or type of bags it uses or the cost for them on your Black & Decker site. Has this unit been discontinued?

Please advise as I'm very interested in this unit.
Thank you
Raye Minor<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Their reply will be interesting. Maybe I just missed the information on the B&D site. However, on their site everytime I click on food storage it came up blank.  For the unit that I purchased I paid $157.00 for the unit with 600 bags. From what I saw on other sites the B&D has some serious Hg~~! And this is the name of the game. if it does take a standard bag (average cost 5-8 cents) and has any duty cycle to it then it will be a great purchase.

<b>johnintx1</b> Your review of your B&D will be much looked forward to. If you don't have a place to host your picture let me know this thread and I will supply a new E-mail address  to you and host them for you.

I will advise what B&D has to say.

Olds

Oldman

Never mind B&D reply I just found this on the net:<hr noshade size="1"> How does the B&D freshGUARDâ„¢ Professional-Performance Vacuum Sealer work? The Sealer unit has a powerful vacuum pump system that pulls out the air that surrounds food, leaving food sealed in its own <b>3-ply plastic storage bag.</b><hr noshade size="1">

The cheapest multi bag I've found in a 10 X 13" is 35 cent per copy. The B&D sound like the FoodSaver. A good price for the unit, but the bag cost is a killer if you do any amount of sealing.

I'm ordering enough 10 x 13" bags to do my wifes mags @ a cost of 8 cents a copy. With these figures it does not take a lot of math to know that the SINBO it a great deal... just remember those units that use the multi bags are much easier to use. No learning curve. However, I will admit it took me about a whole dollar's worth of bags to figure out how to use the SINBO. [^][^][^]

Olds

Chez Bubba

Well, thanks to everyone for their wonderful input! Just as several have said, it's a personal choice based on individual circumstance. The one that's going to fit us best for most foods is the Food Saver, even with the bag cost.

Olds has given me a great idea to utilize a SINBO unit for an upcoming non-food project though. I'll probably wind up with both.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

oldman if you need any biger sized bags  like a 10x15 or a 6x20 or if you need some custom bags made check out here, these should work with your unit,http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_vacuum_bags.htm
i think i will have to get one of these soon, you take 600 bags x 35 = $210, momey ahead .

Oldman

<b>Chez</b>
Check out his zip-lock bags that you seal. Talk about looking up-town~~! I would think those bags would be a killer for that charity event you do. Also for your food saver you might what to talk with Doug and see if his multi layer bag will work in your food saver. They do cost less than Food Saver bags.

<b>SMOKEHOUSE ROB</b>
Much thanks for the link. As I've said this unit is not as easy to use as the FoodSaver or the unit johnintx1 purchased. But once you catch onto the how it is not that hard.  One thing I can tell you I will do unless I've doing something like a book or a mag is use a small paper towel at the top.

EDIT This week when I'm out and about beating the used resturant suppy houses for a like new [:D] Berkel food slicer I think I will keep an eye open for a chamber unit. Who know I did get that 30" grill for 1/4 the cost of new, and it was new on one side!
Olds

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />......... I think I will keep an eye open for a chamber unit......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Careful Olds[:0].....once you see a chamber unit demonstrated by sealing a bag of water with no leakage or being programmed for one touch sealing of magazines or fish or soup or bread slices (ALL requiring seperate sealing setups!), I can see a serious dent in yer wallet in your future[;)][:D][;)]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Springville Pop

I'm not familiar with the B&D unit. Sounds like it uses conventional bags, not channel bags like the Foodsaver. If so, no reason my conventional "flat" bags wouldn't work with it. All are much less than 35 cents a copy and available in boilable, reclosable zipper, high barrier, etc. Also, some are available in 100 pack quantities...you pay more per bag but you don't have to get a whole case.

Olds, my micro-layered bags will work with most Foodsavers and are less $$ <b>but</b> they're not boilable. Also, my stock on most sizes is low until early next month.

Doug

www.dougcare.com/

Oldman

Doug thanks for keeping an eye on this thread. If sure johnintx1 will be looking into your pages for a cost factor.

BigSmoker asked this question;<hr noshade size="1">Several of the members here have ordered Reveo tumblers. Any pointers you could offer would be great. Thanks.<hr noshade size="1">

If you have any input that would be great.
Olds

Olds

Springville Pop

I'm not familiar with the Reveo tumblers but then a  tumbler is a tumbler is a tumbler.

A few key tumbling points...
1. Don't try to pick up more than 10% by weight with a marinade. You can do it it, but I think everyone on this forum is interested in improving product taste, texture and flavor, not just pushing more weight into the smoker. (Some big meat producers are very interested in pushing the tumble yield to the max since most of the marinade is water and last I looked, water is cheap!)
2. Always add marinade by weight ie. if you're tumbling 15 lbs. of meat, add 1.5 lbs. of marinade.
3. High vacuum levels are <b>NOT</b> necessary to vacuum tumble. 12 to 15 inches of mercury will give plenty of vacuum to pull the marinade into the meat.
4. 20 to 30 minutes is usually enough time to pull a 10% marinde into most meat products. If you're doing hams, that's another story.
5. A vacuum tumbler can pull marinade completely into a piece of meat about 3 to 3-1/2 inches thick (about as thick as your fist). Any thicker than that you'll need to pump if you're doing a cure or want marinade completly through the meat (like curing hams).
6. A marinade can be pretty much what ever you want it to be. Commercially available tumble marinades usually contain sodium phosphate to help hold the water in the meat. I know a restaurant chain that makes their own marinade from lemon juice, water, salt & pepper...works great! Just mix the dry into the measured amount of <b>cold water</b> before adding to the tumbler.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about tumbling, just send me an email.

Doug

www.dougcare.com/