A few newbie questions

Started by str1der, March 10, 2005, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

str1der

Hi everyone,
        First time poster but have been reading for a couple weeks. I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get myself a BS. I do have a couple questions though. I have read all the discussions about the guru and raptor but I don't understand why the Bardley doesn't just have a built in thermostat. I mean if a $300 oven can have one why not this smoker?

Could someone explain a little more about FTC. I couldn't find a FAQ that did. From what I can tell when you take the meat out you wrap it in foil, then a dry towel, then you stick it in a cooler. I assume you don't mean a cooler with ice. What's the reason for this? Thanks for all the great info.

jaeger

Welcome to the forum str1der!
There is a rumor going around about a Deluxe Limited Edition Bradley coming out with a raptor and guru, though it may just be wishful thinking. These guru raptors do more than just adjust the heat of the box. You can set the smoker to adjust temps as the internal temp of the meat is reached and more. I think it may also have hold temps and timers.
  As far as the FTC, by putting the meat in the cooler, the heat continues to break down connective tissues etc, to give you a more tender product. The insulation of the cooler allows the meat to hold the heat it has reached, for several hours.  It also helps to redistribute the juices throughout the meat.

Now would be a great time of year to pick up a Bradley. By summer you will be a pro!!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Oldman

IMO the raptor is a nice add on toy.  It helps the new person to get to the end result they want... I've been smokin' for over 40 years and I don't have one.  If Bradley puts out a 3rd model with it you will not see me purchasing it--unless it is so priced right.

Sorry all, but I just cannot at the current price justify a raptor... it is not like it is a money issue for me. I'm the guy that pays $165.00 per month for a personal net connection so I can host smooth running games on the net with an upload of 750KB to over 900KB!  Again, the money is not the issue for me. I view monies spend on the value of the return of your investment, and what is imortant to you for those monies spent.

Someone explain to me what this raptor can do that a $50.00 dual temp can't tell you besides allowing you to sleep through the night? Opps with one of those $50.00 units if the temp get to high in the box an alarm goes off. If the box gets to cool an alarm goes off.  If the meat gets to the cooked temp. the alarm goes off. 3am or 1pm. Plus all of this is wireless...

I have never found that once the temp. is established why I have to get up at 3 am. to check on my Bradley. We are not building rockets here to go to Mars.

The only thing I see this promotion of the raptor doing is turning a great $350.00 smoker into a $950.00 reach for folks who read these past postings and say.... hell I cannot afford that.

<b>This Raptor is not needed to get great results....PERIOD.</b> However, every posting I read about it seem to be the way I read this stuff.  

Now we have new person to smoking (str1der) asking the question. There is nothing wrong with having one.... but not at the expense of the unit itself, and folks that feel they will fail with the Bradley unit if they don't have one.

All of you who have this unit I'm proud for you..I'm glad...it is your toy... crap you should see my next computer system I've laid out.  It is a 32/64 bit system with more toys where some of these toys cost more than the raptor. Hell its V-card cost more than most folks system... its my toy.

However, I will never tell someone that because they only have a 32 bit 3200XP system that they cannot game successfully. That would be miss-leading in any sense.

Sorry I don't mean to be the lone voice out here (which I am...,) but I just cannot sit back and not address new a person's questions concerning the need of the Raptor.

Maybe one day I will find a Bradley with one of these units in a garage sale and end up eating my words. Those who know me know that I would post that I was wrong about the raptor should that be the case. However, until then I will just have to be that lone voice.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

johnintx1

Iam a new Bradley owner, Iam doing great without a raptor guru. I do have the maverick dual temp,its really nice and helpfull...but could make it ok with out it . The smoker is great ,get you one!!

Smoke on!!

str1der

Didn't mean to start any conflicts. It sounds like there are some very polarized opinions on the subject. Money is not realy the issue it's just more of why doesn't the Bradley have a thermostat to begin with. I mean it seems like a great advancement in smokers but for that price you think it would be included. I honestly thought the BS was a set the temperature and the smoker would maintain it for you when I first saw it. Not that it's not worth the price. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that after the first temp drop after putting in the meat it would stay pretty stable after that, or am I mistaken? Like I said I'm about ready to go just deciding on who to buy it from. Obviously Bubba is the popular choice and I appreciate his input to the forum but the price/value difference is pretty high. You have about a hundred dollar markup on the regular and a $140 on the SS compared to other vendors. All other places only add $100 difference on the SS.

Where ever I end up buying from I can't wait for the pulled pork and ribs.

Cold Smoke

Hey Str1der- welcome to BS country! Glad you're considering the BS. It really is a great smoker- I will admit I have not had the years of smoking experience that many here have......but I LOVE my Bradley Smoker! I do not have a guru- nor do I have a remote maverick (though I'm staring to think about getting one) nor do I have access to fresh seafood or salmon BUT all my family and friends think I'm a pretty good guy to have around when they're hungry. I have had an absolute blast with this thing so far- even though I don't have all the bells and whistles (Guru/Raptor/Maverick/Jerky Racks etc....etc...But if ever I have some extra dineros in my pocket I MIGHT just want these "bells and whistles" for my favorite pastime. It's up to you.

BTW- I've never wrecked anything I've smoked due to lack of "tools" or thermostat- though it would be something Mr. Bradley might consider on future models.

Smoke on mate!!

Cold Smoke

Oldman

From what Bill  and others that use the Raptor have posted my understanding is it is a very refinded chip based controller and not a thermostat. Most thermostats have temp swings of plus or minus 10 degrees. Some even more than that.

With the Raptor, again as I understand it, there are no temp swings as it allows a continous flow of power to the heating element--and via its sensors constantly monitors the box to adjust the amount of power to maintain the temp. I've never seen a thermostat do that. It is power on and power off with them.

There is no doubt in my mind that the cost of the Raptor is worth every dime. A thermostat IMO just would never work with the Bradley unless whatever you are smoking is not effected by temp swings.

EDIT: Maybe next year instead of a major upgrade in my system I might just shock everyone and purchase a Raptor. I really don't care for the current trend I'm seeing in the gaming world. Not only in the gamers, but in the type of games that are coming out.  Just a little too realistic. Fun games like Mechwarrior2, Turok, and BattleZone all seem to have fallen by the way side.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

str1der

Oldman,
        It sounds like you need to build yourself a MAME cabinet. I did and I use it to play all the great older games along with a few new ones. Lots of fun.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It sounds like you need to build yourself a MAME cabinet.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey I've been around a little...but I don't know what MAME means.... sorry!

Please advise.

Olds

str1der

<b>M</b>ulti <b>A</b>rcade <b>M</b>achine <b>E</b>mulation

Check out this site.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

str1der

Here's a link to some not so great pics of the building of mine. It has a normal PC in it with a 21" CRT monitor.

http://home.insightbb.com/~str1der/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

BigSmoker

I like some of the other guys don't use a raptor on my Bradley.  Only thing I have is the door thermometer and a electronic thermometer for the product being cooked.  I haven't had any issues with the Bradley as long as I made sure the temp was stable before hitting the sack.  That being said the Guru folks have 2 different models.  The competitor and the ProCom4.  The competitor model is $247.00 complete package.  Still not cheap but not $549.00.  I do use the competitor on my ceramic charcoal grill.  It works fine for me.  Is it needed absolutely not.  Will I eventually buy the raptor attachment absolutely.  Long story short have fun, don't buy anything your not comfortable with, IMO buy from Chez Bubba.  The difference will eventually be made up by ordering pucks from him.  He gives you a 10% discount(if you buy the smoker from him) on the pucks for life.  

Olds,
Lots of respect for a guy who stands up for what he believes even if it may be against the mainstream.  Keep up the good work[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

str1der that is one neat unit!

BigSmoker--will do~~!

Olds

Habanero Smoker

I just find it humorus that all the negative reports on the Raptor and Guru come from those that don't own one [:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

xcowell

If you use the competitor with a wireless single probe thermometer,you have the essence of a ProCom for under 300.00.I have read your existing guru can be used on the Bradley with a separate control(no fan). Bringing your poor man's ProCom to less than 100.00.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I like some of the other guys don't use a raptor on my Bradley.  Only thing I have is the door thermometer and a electronic thermometer for the product being cooked.  I haven't had any issues with the Bradley as long as I made sure the temp was stable before hitting the sack.  That being said the Guru folks have 2 different models.  The competitor and the ProCom4.  The competitor model is $247.00 complete package.  Still not cheap but not $549.00.  I do use the competitor on my ceramic charcoal grill.  It works fine for me.  Is it needed absolutely not.  Will I eventually buy the raptor attachment absolutely.  Long story short have fun, don't buy anything your not comfortable with, IMO buy from Chez Bubba.  The difference will eventually be made up by ordering pucks from him.  He gives you a 10% discount(if you buy the smoker from him) on the pucks for life.  

Olds,
Lots of respect for a guy who stands up for what he believes even if it may be against the mainstream.  Keep up the good work[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">