Sunday's Roast Beef in the OBS and BE

Started by ArnieM, November 23, 2009, 07:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

After seeing Caney's post about smoking at the fly shop, this seems pretty insignificant.  >:(

Top round roast, 3.6 pounds.  Strangely enough, my wife and I were to be alone on Sunday.  :D

Gave it a commercial rub Saturday night and into the fridge.

I cold smoked with two each Oak and Mesquite bisquettes.  I removed the 'V' tray and fed the bisquettes by hand, timing each for 30-35 minutes.  This gives them time to totally burn.  Not exactly set-and-forget.

Time to get the acorn squash in the oven.  They take about an hour at 400.  Milk, butter, fresh ground black pepper and chipotle powder.

The smoked beef is in the cooking basket and ready to go.

I used 1/4" steel rod to suspend the basket and get the beef closer to the center of the cooking chamber in the BE.  I couldn't use the cover but it didn't seem necessary in the end.

I shut down the BE at an IT of 131.  It coasted up to 137 while resting.

The finished product.  The beef was a bit over done for me but it really tasted good.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Nice looking hunk o' beef..

I wonder, could you use an old Weber kettle lid when you elevate the BE rack like that?

Or an big inverted SS mixing bowl?

Caneyscud

Man, Arnie, that looks great.  I'm getting into smoking the top rounds and the like.  When I told my wife and daughter I was smoking a butt this weekend for the big feast, they got excited, they thought I was talking about the prime beef butt I did a couple of weeks ago.  They were disappointed so this will be on the menu this weekend to make up for my erroneous blunder!  Wish the acorn and their fixin's weren't so high in carbs, but I think I might do some anyways.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 23, 2009, 08:05:43 AM

Nice looking hunk o' beef..

I wonder, could you use an old Weber kettle lid when you elevate the BE rack like that?

Or an big inverted SS mixing bowl?

Thanks for the ideas squirt.  I'd say it didn't need a cover based on the way the beef came out.

I'll probably do something similar with the turkey for TG.  I have a bookmark on Sav's post for guidelines.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12189.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Just keep the cats away from that thing!  :D