Smoke/cured turkey

Started by ronbeaux, November 24, 2009, 02:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Wish me luck. I am using this recipe
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/cure_smoke/smoked_turkey.html

It(all 16lbs of it) has been in the Igloo for 48 hours and I just drained it to do a soak out to reduce the salt content a little(it also got the injection of 10% of the weight). It will get air dried at <40 degrees for a day and then get put on the OBS tomorrow night. Following the directions to the letter. I'm leaning towards a maple hickory mix with every other puck. It will get a nice above and below the skin rub with Art's Red Rub along with a generous injection of creole butter. This bird has not seen temps above 40 the entire time of prep. Everything was done at just enough above freezing to get the needle in. The Igloo only needed ice twice in the 48 hours and there were still little pieces that had not melted.

I am getting jumpy and already have the OBS cleaned and ready and loaded. All I have to do is plug it in and the temptation is killing me to start early! It's looking like a 12 hour cook and I have to contain myself not to start early.

I have a backup plan if it sucks.

Plan B:
Drive to the store and buy one already cooked.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

OK Ron, Good Luck!  It sounds like you're off to a great start. 

It sounds like you're kinda like me; I lack patience.  Throw a nice steak on the grill - done in 7-8 minutes.  The brining/curing/smoking stuff takes hours if not days.

Mine goes into brine tomorrow evening.  Probably 16-17 hours worth.  I'm going to inject with no salt added.  A few hours of smoke.  Certainly apple but I'm not sure what else I'm going to mix in yet.  Then finish it in the Big Easy.  Just another experiment.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jaredpost

Quote from: ronbeaux on November 24, 2009, 02:59:35 PM

I have a backup plan if it sucks.

Plan B:
Drive to the store and buy one already cooked.

I'm smokin one for the first time this year and my wife is making me cook a second one in the oven so if the one that gets smoked sucks we'll already have a backup bird ready. Pain in the ass but at least I get to try smoking one:)

ronbeaux

I here ya on the backup plan thing. I've cooked a lot of turkey on my pits and they all come out good. Brining is easy and makes them taste good. I'm just worried about the whole curing thing.

ArnieM

My backup plan is frozen pizza.

Ron, I've heard (never done it) that the curing will make it come out tasting more like ham.  The juniper berries might make it taste a bit more like pastrami.

Please keep us up to date on how it came out.  That's how we all learn.
-- Arnie

ronbeaux

Yep. It says the dark meat will resemble ham when cut. I put in some fresh herbs while it was curing so hopefully it will not taste like ham, although I would not disapprove if it did since I like ham......

The skin will likely be rubber but I don't think I will worry about it. I'll just go straight for the meat. The inlaws are cooking one in the oven and they usually manage to screw it up........ So, It might be a side dish Thanksgiving. :-[

Pachanga

Ron,

QuoteThe inlaws are cooking one in the oven and they usually manage to screw it up........ So, It might be a side dish Thanksgiving

Now what was the inlaw's forwarding Email?

Oh, yeah, I forgot, what happens on the Bradley Board stays on the Bradley Board.

Good luck and let's just keep it on the QT,

Pachanga

ronbeaux

OK. I held off until the last minute to put it on. Had a steady 140 going with no smoke and held it for 1 hour. Then I pressed the start button for the combo hickory/maple mix of pucks, raised the temp 10 degrees at a time as best I could till I got to 190, then watched it awhile to make sure it was doing OK over the next few hours. Inserted the  probe and set it beside my bed(Maverick ET73) Did I mention beer?? Lost three games of darts to my college boy, the little runt.......

Plan B; Grocery has already seasoned turkeys overflowing the case so if the turkey don't look good I will be the first in line to get one and fast burn it on the Primo.

Stay tuned. Night night. Hic.

Tenpoint5

Looks good so far Ron. Ain't you figured out that your supposed to make alot of noise when the runt is ready to throw. Or bump into him. Yeah cheat when you have to with the kids especially when they get as big as yours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Looking good Ron..

Just down 'snooze' the Maverick like you would your alarm clock - been there done that! (almost ruined a brisket)

ArnieM

Lookin' good Ron. 

I don't have a Maverick.  Does it have a snooze alarm?
-- Arnie

ronbeaux

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 25, 2009, 07:31:09 PM
Looks good so far Ron. Ain't you figured out that your supposed to make alot of noise when the runt is ready to throw. Or bump into him. Yeah cheat when you have to with the kids especially when they get as big as yours.

I would but he is 6' 2" and 225lbs. He outgrew me and he knows math. I did manage to distract him with my old Rachel Welch 1,000,000 BC poster though....

He still beat me.

ronbeaux

It sure looks pretty!

Went to plan B anyway. First in line this morning.

The OBS lost some temp last night. At 0330 the bird was at 147 and the OBS was rocking along at 190. THEN, at 0630 it was at 130 and the bird was at 120!!! Popped it in the oven to get it back up. Don't think I will try it out on the masses. But I plan on hammering it!

I'll cook the store bought one at 325 and have it ready by 1300.

squirtthecat

Sounds like you caught in time...  I'm sure it will turn out great, but "Plan B" is a good idea as well!

Tenpoint5

Sorry to here that you had to go to plan "B".
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!