Worth the wait Turkey

Started by JGW, November 24, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

I'll be trying this recipe from S&S for Tday.  I won't be brining, as the wife grabbed a butterball (already brined...more or less).

Anyone with the book done this recipe? It sounds interesting with the cheesecloth wrap and all.  Not sure I agree with the cooking time, but will play it by ear (and the IT).

If I remember, I'll take some pics.   ;D

Ka Honu

JGW

?

Worth the wait Turkey IS the name of the recipe.  It's in S&S...at least in the edition I own.

tedstryker

I tried the Smoke&Spice Worth the wait turkey about 7 years ago and I think if I was to do it again, I would omit the cheesecloth. It gives the skin an uneven color. BTW, It was a big bird if I recall correctly, and it tooks about 15 hours.

JGW

How did the turkey taste?  I have a 13lb bird...that comes out to almost 20 hours by the recipe directions.  That seems like a hell of a lot of time for a turkey.   :o :o :o

The cheese cloth seems an interesting idea, but not sure I want to be burning bisquettes when the meat is covered with it.

I'm re-thinking this plan   ;D

JGW

I'm surprised no one else has tried this recipe.  I'm going to use the injection stuff, and the rub, but will fore go the cheesecloth and EXTREMELY long cooking time and do it like a normal bird in regards to the length of the cooking time.

I'll try this on a different day when the turkey isn't such a critical part of the meal. ;D :D