Babyback versus spare ribs

Started by car54, March 11, 2005, 10:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

Besides the price, is there a difference in taste and smoking techniques between baby backs and spare ribs?

Thanks, Brad

CLAREGO

I think the baby backs have less taste and the cost is a big diffence.but bb's can be more tender than spares..

johnintx1

if you soak the cheeper ribs in coke or a good marinade all night, sit them out to come to room temp, while you set up and warn up the bradley,then cook low n slow in the bradley,they will fall off the bone,very tender.

Smoke on!!

nsxbill

In the quest for some tender Baby Backs, I am going to try either the Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper marinade in the Vacuum marinator and then into the smoker.  Last time I marinated for about 40 minutes under vacuum in the Marivac Marinator, but going to get enough to fill up the smoker next time and use the new Hobart Commercial Marinator I have coming.  I will probably add some bourbon to the mix.....you know bourbon and coke tastes pretty good when getting yourself marinated during the smoke [:D].

I get really lean ribs at the Military Commissary for about $2.28 pound, and everyone really enjoys the end product.  My son is moving back home at the end of the month to fill that empty nest for awhile.  He brings with him an appetite of a runner  and several friends that are also runners.  Going to do a big welcome home with about 15 lbs or ribs and fixins for the family and friends.

I love SmokehouseRob's rack to hang them on, and plan on draping the bacon instead of the usual filling of the top rack to drip down.

Will definitely post up some pics.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Going to do a big welcome home with about 15 lbs or ribs and fixins for the family and friends.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">  Just give us the time, Bill and we'll all be there![:D]
Tom

psdubl07

I'm gonna smoke some babybacks this Friday for a little March Madness party.  I've made some good batches so far, but nothing falling off the bone.  Thinking I'll try the Coke thing to see if that makes a difference.  
Bill, have you tried the recipe from S&S for Bourbon-Onion sauce?  I can't remember the actual name, but anyway, it's really good if you like that flavor.

MallardWacker

To me baby backs will always winout over spares, the taste is much better, tender and more consistant.  To this day I don't know if I ever got spares to taste as good as loins.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

MW, are you able to get them to the falling off the bone stage?  If so, puh-lease let me in on the secret! [8D]

simmy

I have to agree with MW. BB's are much better than the spares. There is too much cartiledge (sp?) in spares for me and I also think you can get BB's more to the point of fall off the bone.

Steve

BigSmoker

Hey guys give some St. Louis style a try.  They are trimmed spares and look much like baby backs.  I like them best. Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />MW, are you able to get them to the falling off the bone stage?  If so, puh-lease let me in on the secret! [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">PS, I don't know who said this on the forum so I could give the guy credit but it is worth repeatng; "Ribs are Journey"

This is always how I do ribs. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(I pull the membrane off) Preheated the smoker to 225 . I smoked them with my favorite pucks(4 hours of smoke) @ 200 for about 8 hours and I pulled them out when the internal temp came up to 187.  Then FTC.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As many times I have done ribs, and do them the same way, they do come out differently each time, however they come out tender more often than not.  I don't know if this worth anything but this is the way this Pollock does it...

ALSO: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey guys give some St. Louis style a try. They are trimmed spares and look much like baby backs. I like them best. Happy Smokin'.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Jeff does have something here.  Those of you that do not know the St.Louis cut of spares, I encourage you to look it up.  I have heard of better results (from other forums) when using this cut of spares.  Though I'm not convinced as of yet.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

psdubl07

MW, I have done BBs a 1/2 dozen times and do them pretty much the same as you.  
Each time they are tender and moist, but I haven't been able to achieve that totally falling off the bone consistency.
Have you tried letting them go to say 195?  Wonder if this makes a diff or just dries them out...
We're gonna get them in Coke tonight, put the rub on tomorrow night, then smoke em Friday along w/ about a 5-6lb butt.  I think I'm gonna try mopping them w/ some sauce once in the last hour of cooking, then another mop before FTC.  We'll see how it works.

I really like BBs but I may try St. Louis style as Jeff suggested the next time out.

MallardWacker

ps,

Raising the temp like that would be a good starting point to find out the difference would be.  What ever you don't try Coke[xx(], Pepsi or NOTHING[8D].

All kidding aside, let us know on what happens with the temp...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

str1der

I may be wrong on this but I seem to remember the "Myth Busters" doing a show about using Coke for a bunch of things and one of them was a meat tenderizer. I think the concolusion was that it didn't work.

nsxbill

The smoker tenderizes by cooking slowly.  I like the Coke for the sugar content, the flavor and the way in carmelizes while cooking.  Whether it tenderizes or not has yet to be proven to me.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.