making my own wood chunks

Started by Ben, March 10, 2005, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I have a wood smoker that I want to start using. I also have access to oak trees that were recently cut down. Can I dry these and use in my wood smoker? Do I treat it the same as firewood?

oguard

Ben I used a chainsaw to chip up alder for use in my lil chief they worked well.I can't see why you could'nt do the same to oak.Since getting the bradley I don't have to worry about it[:)]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Oldman

Ben,
When I was using a side box smoker I would age my oak at least 9 months in a dry storage shed. Next I would cut it up into one foot sections and split the wood into pieces no bigger around than soft ball.

Now using an old Webber style grill I would char down the oak. Once the oak was ready I would then transfer it to the side box of my smoker and given what I was smoking or how long I want to smoke it I would keep the webber going. Transfer the charred wood as needed.

When I was using a hot plate type of smoker I would cut my wood into sizes I could feed through my chipper/ shreader. Once it was chipped I would then take those chips and then run them though the shreader side of the machine--sometimes twice.

<hr noshade size="1">As oguard said, <b>Since getting the bradley I don't have to worry about it</b>[:)]<hr noshade size="1">

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!