Babyback versus spare ribs

Started by car54, March 11, 2005, 10:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psdubl07

MW, I agree with you, flavor is for sure the most important thing.  I've just have never had a problem achieving flavor in the Bradley, so it's kind of a given.  
I've had BBs that are both flavorful and falling off the bone, which is how I like them.  Since I've achieved the flavor piece of the puzzle, now I'm working on the tenderness piece.  If cooking them in the oven first, or boiling them, or taking a blowtorch to them, makes them tender, AND I can still get the smoke flavor by throwing them in the Bradley after, to me, I've hit pay dirt!
[:D]

Oldman

Well I have followed this thread with interest as I have not done ribs in the Bradley. I will share this with you though... When I'm grillin' ribs (spare or BB)I have them cross cut 1 inch wide. Now the top (thicker) side of the rib I do not grill. It will end up being cooked in sour kraut with other items.

I cook the now "ribbets" over a direct oak flame until I get a good searing; then shut the unit down to slow the burn down and to go into a smoke period. I use a little standard season salt on them. Once cooked I place them in a holding roasting pan with lid. Next I open the unit back up and allow it to flame up again. Then coat the ribs in BBQ sauce as I return them to the grill and allow the sauce to blackin' some before I remove them to a storage area to allow for another 15-20 minute dwell time before the eating.

The ribs are reasonably tender, and very favorful. By doing it this way I cannot tell the difference between BB and spare ribs.... just my 2 cents worth.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SoupGuy

Absolutely, the ribs pre-baked in foil WILL catch flavor from your smoke! When you remove them from the foil they will be both wet and a little oily... smoke hangs on this very well. If you prefer very heavily smoked product, lessen the oven time to 1.5 or 2 hours and smoke longer at a higher temperature... I just think this tends to dry the ribs out more than I'd like.

I do whole chickens and other fowl in the oven before smoking also, but they are wet-brined first (and smoked after cooking).

When some people initially start smoking things, many tend to over-smoke. There is such a thing as balance and too much of a good thing! Smoke doesn't always have to be the dominant flavor in a recipe...

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

Habanero Smoker

I've been trying to avoid my 2 cents worth, because I don't smoke ribs often. Smoke will adhere to meat surface at any temperature, though the hotter the surface the lower the rate of adhesion. The surface of ribs is much greater than the thickness. So I would think that smoke absorption would not be that great of a factor, because you have so much surface for the smoke to adhere to you should be able to get a good smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Smokehouse Rob,

On the next "reworking" of your design, I would suggest you leave a middle bar out on one side.  The ability of the user to slide the sausage rack in and out of the dryer rack seems one that would be paramount.  I really like the hanging rack.  It really would be far better to be able to hang it in the dryer rack so the ease of sliding into the smoker is taken advantage of. Keep up the good work.  You can call this revision the BM version!  Well, on second thought, that might not sell too well.

Bill Muirhead

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Well I have followed this thread with interest as I have not done ribs in the Bradley. I will share this with you though... When I'm grillin' ribs (spare or BB)I have them cross cut 1 inch wide. Now the top (thicker) side of the rib I do not grill. It will end up being cooked in sour kraut with other items.

I cook the now "ribbets" over a direct oak flame until I get a good searing; then shut the unit down to slow the burn down and to go into a smoke period. I use a little standard season salt on them. Once cooked I place them in a holding roasting pan with lid. Next I open the unit back up and allow it to flame up again. Then coat the ribs in BBQ sauce as I return them to the grill and allow the sauce to blackin' some before I remove them to a storage area to allow for another 15-20 minute dwell time before the eating.

The ribs are reasonably tender, and very favorful. By doing it this way I cannot tell the difference between BB and spare ribs.... just my 2 cents worth.

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds,
As always something new for me to try[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BigSmoke:
Olds,
As always something new for me to try<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I just make sure I get ribs with meat on them. Now you want something really good? Better than any ribs? Pork neck bones cross-cut 1 inch wide and with a good 3/4 to 1 inch of meat left on them.  Do these like you would your ribs. The meat on those bones has so much more flavor, that you will pass up the BB or spare ribs all day long.

The big problem for me here in a city is getting them with enough meat on them and cut like I want. For you all who have access to a "live" butcher I would think you would be all over this like a 100.00 bill laying on the ground~~!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cold Smoke

Hey Olds, you are definately onto something. If I'm correct- in these parts we call these ribs "finger foods" pork button ribs. They are nice thin strips of ribs with small nickel/quarter size bones in long thin strips. They are reasonably inexpensive and a damn good treat. I like them as much as I like wings. They are delicious smoked and grilled with a good sauce and some cold lagers.

Cold Smoke

eightball

I am new to this but if youcan't get coke syrup, yoiu might try reducing coke on the stove over low heat. Basically yoiu would be turning it back into syrup.[8]

Oldman

Just FYI coke is 5 parts water 1 part syrup if brixed correctly.

Resturants that sell fountain soda have one of two machines. A Post Mix which is really only a large 5 gallon can of soda already mixed or a brixed machine which mixes the water and syrup at the fountain head. You might be able to talk a resturant manager into selling you some syrup. <i>Years ago </i>all MacDonlds had brixed machines. I've never been a bar that used Post machines. They all have Brixed.

Olds

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Just FYI coke is 5 parts water 1 part syrup if brixed correctly.

Resturants that sell fountain soda have one of two machines. A Post Mix which is really only a large 5 gallon can of soda already mixed .....
Olds

I was at Sam's yesterday. They were selling Coca Cola in a box lined with a plastic bladder "Coke is a box" [:D]. I didn't take a close look at them. It was a fairly huge box, but I'm guessing they were about five gallons.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was at Sam's yesterday. They were selling Coca Cola in a box lined with a plastic bladder "Coke is a box" . I didn't take a close look at them. It was a fairly huge box, but I'm guessing they were about five gallons.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They sell pure syrup that way as well...

Olds

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was at Sam's yesterday. They were selling Coca Cola in a box lined with a plastic bladder "Coke is a box" . I didn't take a close look at them. It was a fairly huge box, but I'm guessing they were about five gallons.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

About the Coke syrup at Smas, you have to "Qualify" for it.  I don't beleive the average joe can buy it.  I may be wrong (again).  But I would look at the little sign undernieth the price.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

My curiosity is taking over. I will be heading for Sam's this Friday, I'll take a closer look at the display and see if it was syrup or soda and see who can make the purchase.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />My curiosity is taking over. I will be heading for Sam's this Friday, I'll take a closer look at the display and see if it was syrup or soda and see who can make the purchase.
Hey Hab, while you're there check to see if they have the same thing with Dr. Pepper! [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA