Babyback versus spare ribs

Started by car54, March 11, 2005, 10:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Local coca cola distributor has the syrup by the gallon.  I used to buy by the case for the the drink dispenser in the home bar.  When I was still buying it, could get cherry coke and regular, Dr. Pibb, or anything else that is dispensed in a typical soda fountain, including root beer.

I don't know what the temp got to..I was sleeping  Son turned everything off at 0130, and just wrapped it all up for me.  I suspect it got there, because he said the Procom4 alarm was going off.  I only did the oven thing in the morning because I wanted to moisten them up with some sauce(And I wanted some!)

They were Baby Backs-very lean Premium Hormel brand they carry at the Military Commissary.  Always excellent. They run about $8 a rack...just a little cheaper than Costco or Sam's.

Bill

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

psdubl07

Thanks Bill.  I might see if I can rustle up some of the syrup.  I've tried just using the Coke, but it didn't really seem to do much.

I've heard of the oven thing too, so will give that a shot also.

[8D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Hung in the smoker, which was a PIA trying to fill the rack quickly without losing so much heat, it brought my 275° preheating temp down quickly.  Took a heck of a long time to get back to 210°.  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill,

Any reason you couldn't pre-hang the ribs on the rack & just slide the whole thing into the smoker at once?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

When the ribs are hanging on the rack, you can't slide the the rack out without hitting the ribs.  I have an old version...the black painted one.  When Rob did the stainless one, maybe he didn't have the center piece??  Just know I would have done it if I could have.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

HOLD ON  bill and chez, i think chez is talking about the sausage rack and bill is talking about the drying rack, but if i get this right bill does the sausage rack fit in the drying rack? bill is that what you ment by the midle piece? please give more details.

nsxbill

My rack - I guess you call it the Sausage rack fits the Drying rack  My drying rack has a piece running accross the middle.  When I have ribs hanging on the rack they would be below the bar, thus making it difficult to just slide out of the drying rack.

Bill

Chez Bubba

OK, I'm confused.

Drying Rack:

Sausage Rack:

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Picture smoking rack sitting inside on top shelf of drying rack with a pan down below to catch things.  The bottom of ribs hangs below the cross piece that is mounted under the 2nd shelf down support.  When you try to pull them out the ribs bang on the crossbar.

Clear with that addendum?

Bill

Chez Bubba

So you have a drying rack, not a sausage rack.[?] Yes, I agree, transfer would be an issue. The sausage rack would allow you to freely slide them into the smoker, but I'm not sure how you would support it while hanging the ribs.

Maybe Rob can come up with a jig?[:)]

Kirk

SoupGuy

Falling off the Bone Ribs:  EASY!

Some folks like chewy ribs; if this is you move on!  This is a sure fire way to get very moist, very tender fallin' off da bones ribs!

This recipe is for pork back ribs. You could use spare ribs but you'll need to reduce cooking times (why bother? baby backs rule!).

There are two ways to do this- one doesnt involve smoking, so I'll simply postscript that one at the end...

1) Buy thick meaty ribs! Sams Club has EXCELLENT ones!
2) Rinse well with cold tap water.
3) Lay the rib on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to wrap and seal the rib.
4) Sprinkle "Prime Rib Rub" on both sides of the rib... liberally!
** If you don't have the above, try: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper mix) A little hot pepper maybe?
5) Have a beer. (drink it, don't waste it on the meat!)
6) Wrap that sucker up. If you tear the foil (shame on you) get another piece and wrap your screw up again.
7) Place in an oven (NOT your smoker unless you can get 300 degrees) and cook at 300 degrees (F) for 2.5 hours. Be sure to use something like a cookie sheet under the ribs in case your wrap job sucked!
8) Remove rib from foil and place into a pre-heated smoker with heavy smoke for about 1 hour. I use hickory, but mesquite is good.
9) Enjoy!
9.5) Before placing into the smoker, apply butter (not LARD you crazy canuks!) to the ribs. Helps maintain moisture and tasts GREAT!

** I recommend a long, sturdy pair of tongs for removing the cooked ribs from the foil. At this point, it will be difficult to keep it all in one piece (yes- it is THAT TENDER!)

--- Postscript:  UN-smoked "Falling off the bones Ribs)

If your Bradley is at the detailers shop, try making BBQ Ribs!

Same as above, however, instead of the "Prime Rib Rub", Generously slather heaps of your favorite BBQ sauce (sweet baby rays!) all over both sides of the Rib before you wrap it in foil. Cook at the same temp (300 "American") for the same 2.5 hours in your oven.

Remove ribs from foil (good luck) and CHAR them over a FLAMING HOT grill for no more than a minute or two on each side... just enough to start blackening the sauce in spots.

If you like C-A-R-S-O-N-S ribs, go to Carsons. If you follow the above (its really easy) I assure you 100% FALLIN-OFF-DA-BONE RIBS that will make you famous!!!

Grill that sucker, put it on a hook, or smoke it!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

Chez Bubba

SN,

Do the ribs really absorb any smoke at that point? I would be inclined to smoke first, then seal in foil if I were using the two appliances.

Kirk

psdubl07

SN, I had the exact same question as Kirk.  The ribs absorb smoke after they are cooked?
If so, I must try this....

MallardWacker

Just an observation:

Around the Mallard home, there has always been a discussion(@#$!~*^%)about tenderness vs. flavor.  The Hen Mallard's first words when I pull out the ribs will be "are those things tender?" not how do they taste.  Baby, I'm look'n for FLAVOR, then I consider them tenderness.  If they are just plain tuff, I hate it but if they don't quite fall off the bone no big deal just so the taste good.  I will always cook for flavor, that means SMOKING to me, not oven action and I somewhat put the Hen's comments to the wind and go for the thing on what counts, flavor.  Please don't take this a slam about the above recipe, it's definately not, but I have found two definate schools of thought when it comes to ribs.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I consider what I did the best of both worlds..I smoked for 4 hours then cooked a total of 7 hrs.  Next morning, heated up at 300 in foil with loads of BBQ sauce sealed up inside.  They were really flavorable like Mallard,and most others like them as well as tender as can be, like everyone likes them!

Bill

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hey bill, if you want you can cut of that middle piece and try it out, if it dont work for you i will fix it for you,