Cold smoking deer suasage for the freezer

Started by Smoke Eater, November 19, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke Eater

I plan on making some deer sausage this weekend, smoking half of it then freezing it.  The ambient temp outside is going to be between 5 C and 0 C.  I need help and direction on how long to cold smoke before freezing and if cold smoking at this temperature works?  I don't want to cook it just want to smoke it, just get it ready for the freezer like the non smoked stuff to enjoy until next year.  From reading some of the posts I understand that leaving the vent open at least half if not all the way open is the way to go.  Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Tenpoint5

Smoke Eater,
I just freeze my venison as is and smoke when I need it. Lot less hassle and I don't have to worry about and bad things happening.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muzzletim

I also do it the way Ten Point does, sure seems to work very well and have never had any problems!
Tim

Smoke Eater

Even if I put cure in the mix, you still don't recommend smoking before freezing?

KevinG

I cured, smoked and finished cooking mine, and then put it in the freezer. Just need to heat it back up. Comes out ok.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG