Prime rib cooking temp.

Started by georgeamer, November 27, 2009, 12:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgeamer

I'm going to be smoking an 8-10 lb prime rib next week and don't want to scre it up.

Want the final product to be medium rare, after rest period.

What is the lowest remp. to cook at?
How long to smoke?
What type of wood?
What internal temp to pull it out of the smoker?
Thanks..George

FLBentRider

I would cook it @ 200F

2-3 hours of smoke - I like Oak or Mesquite on Beef.

I would pull it out @ 130-133F and rest for 15-30 minutes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

George, FLBR has you pretty well covered.  Personally, I'd use a cabinet temp closer to 220.  Good luck.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

georgeamer

Thanks to both......my guess was not too far off...thought it would take a little longer!
george

Gizmo

For Standing Rib Roast (Bone in Prime Rib), I use a higher temperature since Prime is very tender and does not benefit from a low and slow.  I max out the temp, roll smoke, 1 hr to 2 hrs. then bring into the house oven at 350 degrees til IT of 135 degrees if I am going to tent for 15 minutes and serve or 130 degrees then double wrap in heavy duty foil if I am going to let it rest for 1 hour or so.  When transfering from the smoker to the oven, if the outside does not have a nice crust, I turn on the oven broiler and brown the outside which takes about 5 minutes, then change to pure convection at 350 deg.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Pachanga

Georgeamer

QuoteWhat is the lowest remp. to cook at? What internal temp to pull it out of the smoker?
I too like to smoke my Prime Rib to medium rare.  My definition of medium rare is a fully cooked red center and red juices with no raw or gelatinous meat.  A rather famous pit boss I know recommends 325 degrees over coals for three hours to 125 degrees internal temperature (12 pounder).  However smoking in the Bradley means your method is going to be necessarily low and slow.  My personal preference is to use the Bradley from start to finish.  The Bradley at 215 - 225 degrees and an internal temperature of 125 achieves medium rare throughout for me.  Resting the meat completely wrapped in foil for 40 to 60 minutes is a necessary step to finish cooking and to set the juices.

Since my whole crew enjoys the same medium rare, both ends are foiled lightly to prevent them from overcooking.  This also prevents the end cut form becoming more smoke laden than the center cuts.

QuoteWhat type of wood? How long to smoke?
I generally smoke for the majority of the cooking time using apple, some hickory, oak and a touch of mesquite.  Stronger woods will call for shorter smoking times.

Timing is usually the hardest judgment call because you want the meal on time. About 45 minutes per pound is about right at 225 degrees so there is a big difference between a 8 and a 10 pound roast; 6 hours for an 8 pounder and 7.5 for a 10 pounder. A few degrees either way on the Bradley temp can change this time drastically. However, PR holds well for extended periods when covered in foil in a cooler and it benefits from just such a rest.  A heating pad in the cooler set on low will maintain a low temperature if things start to cool off a bit.  Good advice is to start early, adjust Bradley temperature as needed and let the PR rest longer in a cooler, wrapped in foil and a towel if it is early.  Add a heating pad if necessary.

There are a lot of excellent methods to smoke PR and most of them turn out a fine product as long as the right chef is at the helm.  Any of the previous posts sounds reasonable to me.  It is a matter of preference and prior experiences.

You did not ask but I will add the following.  A good house rub for prime rib is 1 cup coarsely ground salt, 2 cups coarsely ground black pepper, 1/3 cup corn starch (or flour), 1/3 cup granulated garlic, and 1/3 cup oregano.  The amount is discretionary but remember that this is thick cut of meat.  I pack it on heavy.

I also use a herb rub under the above house rub with the following ingredients as a guide.  Add or leave out as you see fit.  Sometimes I use everything and others just half. You are not going to penetrate the meat very far and I think of this crust as a condiment.  Salt and Pepper would be just fine but a more complex crust is my preference.  The herbs also add a subtle aroma at the table which works for me. If using the herb rub, go lighter with the aforementioned house rub.

Herb Rub.

1 tsp Beef Granules
1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
1 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1/2 tsp New Mexico Chile
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Celery seed
1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Red Pepper

Wet the meat a little and press in.  Then rub the house rub over the herb rub.

I believe ground bay leaves are one of the most underused yet one of the best of the all rub ingredients.  A tip is to grind the leaves in a spice or coffee grinder with the pepper corns.  Otherwise they are very uncooperative.  If you decide to sear the roast at high temperature in the oven after smoking to produce a crust, be careful as the herb rub can burn.  A quick close broil turning the meat will be OK.  As you are aware, this will also affect the internal temperature.

If you need a horseradish sauce, try the following;

2 oz prepared horseradish, 8 ounces sour cream and 1 or 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley.

I will be jealously awaiting your outcome and a complete report on your method.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

mcsweyns

I read your post about the prime rib. I am cooking a 10 pound prime rib (boneless) and I was wondering what you would think the cooking time would be.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Gizmo on November 28, 2009, 11:19:09 PM... since Prime is very tender and does not benefit from a low and slow.

Sorry, Giz, but I have to disagree with that one.  While you may not be not worried about "tender" with true Prime rib, low & slow will still provide the best finished product by minimizing shrinkage, retaining juices, and ensuring the same degree of doneness throughout the roast.  Check out the article here for discussion and photos.  The author is roasting (not smoking) but the temperature issues remain the same.

ArnieM

Thanks for the link KH.  It makes for interesting reading and seems to be based on scientific fact.

I'm going to have to do mine in the oven this year.  A "wintry mix" is forecast for Christmas Day.  My oven has a "Slow Cook" mode, low and high.  Low averages about 205-210 with swings of about 190-225.  That should do it.  The convection feature won't run below about 300-325.  I don't know why.  But I'll use it at 500-550 for phase 2. 

I'll take pics.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Arnie - I've never found a better method.  I always wondered how restaurants and delis controlled shrinkage and got uniformity across the entire roast with a great crust until a chef friend clued me in about 10 years ago.  I've tried other methods since then but always go back to roast low, rest, & finish high.

I'm not sure how your newfangled oven settings work - mine only does degrees from 170 to 550 - but I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Pachanga

Ka Honu,

Nice article.  I enjoy reading the science behind the cooking.  This is the key to understanding the art.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Aether

Arnie:

Best way I have found to do prime rib in the oven is to season it with salt and pepper and to sear all sides in a heavy saute pan (medium-high heat) on top of the stove.  Oven preheats to 220F while searing (takes 10 to 15 minutes to sear) and then pop the pan and all into the oven.  Slow roast to 10F below desired final temp, remove from oven and tent with foil.  A 20 minute rest should bring the roast to the desired temp.  If you throw a mirpoix into the pan with the roast, you will have the beginning of a good jus.

hal4uk

"Prime Rib" in most restaurants is cooked from choice rib roast.
(think of all the places you can get a "Prime" rib dinner for twenty bucks - ya think they really used USDA PRIME beef?)

Low and slow will definitely benefit (as far as tenderness).
Same principle as making a lousy cut tender (like pork butt or chuck roast); you're just starting with something better.
Even if it truly is a USDA Prime rib loin to begin with - low and slow ain't gonna hurt it.

Another thing to think about:
Several years ago, the USDA standards quietly changed in the middle of the night.
The "Choice" range was widened considerably.  That's why you'll sometimes see "Upper 1/3 Choice" on menus.
"Choice" doesn't mean what it used to; grass feeding with a minimal amount of grain can get the USDA Choice stamp.

That said - you can make fantastic "prime" rib from a choice rib loin - but, you can't do it fast.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Quote from: Aether on December 23, 2009, 03:48:54 PM
Arnie:

Best way I have found to do prime rib in the oven is to season it with salt and pepper and to sear all sides in a heavy saute pan (medium-high heat) on top of the stove.  Oven preheats to 220F while searing (takes 10 to 15 minutes to sear) and then pop the pan and all into the oven.  Slow roast to 10F below desired final temp, remove from oven and tent with foil.  A 20 minute rest should bring the roast to the desired temp.  If you throw a mirpoix into the pan with the roast, you will have the beginning of a good jus.

Thanks for the info Aether.  I've probably used as many techniques as I've done rib roasts - quite a few.  They have never come out 'quite' the way I wanted them.

The link posted by KH earlier, http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html, makes some sense.  They more or less proved that a sear before doesn't don't do anything.  But they do sear at the end.  Need that crispy outside.  I'm going to try it and report back after Christmas.

I agree that an S&P rub is great; lot of salt for a crust.  I use fresh ground sea salt and black pepper. 

I'll also go with the mirepoix - basically the trinity with maybe a little garlic.  What the heck.

Merry Christmas
-- Arnie

ArnieM

I hear ya Hal.  I'm not sure where the "Prime" part came from but everyone seems to call rib roast "Prime Rib" regardless of the grade.  

The info on the change of grading "Choice" is interesting.  Does that apply to all beef nowadays?

Edit:  I wonder if that's where Angus beef fits in - the top third?
-- Arnie