Prime rib cooking temp.

Started by georgeamer, November 27, 2009, 12:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

I'm sticking with my tried and true roast at low temp then blast on high to finish method. The only trick is to time when it gets done. Normally I let it roast, or sit in my pit at around 230 to 250 until the IT gets to 120 or so, then blast the living daylights out of it to put a sear on it. Finishing with an IT of 135.

When you slice into it after at least a 15 minute rest you will find that it has a uniform color though out the meat, unlike the sear first method which will leave about 1/4 to 3/8" of dried up meat near the surface.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Ka Honu

ronbeaux - You can foil wrap and let the roast rest up to 90 minutes before the sear blast, then slice and serve.  Much easier to time serving that way.

ArnieM

Oh, I like this part -

then blast the living daylights out of it to put a sear on it. Finishing with an IT of 135
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

hal4uk

Arnie..

USDA "Inspected" or USDA "Select" -
that means Goober looked at it, and he doesn't think it will kill you.

USDA Choice - who knows?  anywhere from OK to GREAT...
You have to learn your local stores.

But, here's a tip-off:  The store that runs those fantastic specials... 
USDA Choice Ribeyes $4.99/lb...  Bet your momma's house - they're selling at point they can make a profit.
How you reckon they do that?

There's usually a reason why "idiots" like me will buy from the store that sells USDA Choice Ribeyes - day in and day out - for $11.99/lb

That said - "Certified Angus" is supposed to be upper 1/3...  But I've had some that was so-so. 

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

OU812

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 23, 2009, 07:02:17 PM
I'm sticking with my tried and true roast at low temp then blast on high to finish method. The only trick is to time when it gets done. Normally I let it roast, or sit in my pit at around 230 to 250 until the IT gets to 120 or so, then blast the living daylights out of it to put a sear on it. Finishing with an IT of 135.

When you slice into it after at least a 15 minute rest you will find that it has a uniform color though out the meat, unlike the sear first method which will leave about 1/4 to 3/8" of dried up meat near the surface.

I feel the same as ron does, 4 hr Oak, smoker set at 250 F, but I like to finish on a balzin hot grill and just roll a little at a time till the hole thing has nice sear marks and the IT is what I want, which is the same as ron also.