need recipie for smoked duck

Started by thrdrock, January 01, 2008, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrdrock

Anybody out there ever tried smoking a duck in the OBS? I had a request from my stepson to try one. If anyone has any good recipies and tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year.

Bad Flynch

At 225 degrees F, it will take about 4 hours to cook an average supermarket duck. Simply use smoke for about 2 or 3 hours of that, depending on how smoky you like your duck.

Years ago, I had a recipe for smoked duck salad and one of the key ingredients was the skin, sliced thinly. Most of the smoke flavor will be in the skin, so try adding some of the skin to a recipe like this. If you object to the fat on the skin, then turn the skin over and scrape the fat off before you slice it. However, duck fat is yummy stuff.

A duck could be cured and then smoked, but try it plain first.
B.F.

La Quinta

thrdrock...man I'd definately put some sort of pan under the duck...when that fat starts to render...it could get ugly inside your smoker. Duck fat is about as flamable as it gets! And god knows there is enough of it to cause a problem! I'd smoke it for an hour/hour and a half and then finish it in the oven... or a rotisserre (sp?) (again with a pan under it). If you do it that way...you could brush the skin with whatever your favorite sweet sauce...marmalade...plum sauce...a cherry syrup reduction...you name it!

Habanero Smoker

Is it wild or domestic. I fully cook/smoked a domestic duck in the BS, and was not too pleased with the finished results. If I were to do it again, I would cold smoke (or smoke at the lowest temperature I could keep the BS). Then after applying the smoke; finish in an oven. Wild duck is much leaner, and I've never attempted to smoke one of those.

Here are some threads to look at. Do a search on "duck" to get more results.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4685.0
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=498.0

My mediocre attempt
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=901.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jerseygirl1029

I am going to try this one ! thanks for posting that! Has anyone every smocker whole cranberry? I was looking for recipe or a tip didnt find one .
Thanks

tsquared

Jersey girl--I have a couple of domestic ducks lurking in the freezer  that I am going to try soon. I am thinking of steaming them first over some water with tea in it, like the chinese do and then doing some smoking and then into the oven at a higher temp to crisp the skin up. I haven't nailed down the details but that's the rough plan. I have read  steaming is the most effective way of rendering a  lot of the duck fat out. BTW--I plan to do this on my propane camp stove outside as I don't want greasy duck steam running down my kitchen walls. Let me know how yours turns out and I will post when I tried doing my " paradox."--(old Canadian Ukrainian joke--What's the definition of a paradox. A pair of ducks flying over Vegreville.)
T2

Habanero Smoker

T2;

That sounds like an interesting project. If you steam first, I believe you won't get any smoke penetration, though you should get the smoke to adhere on the skin. When you get around to this, I would be interested in how it turns out. If I were to give it a go, I would try cold smoking for a couple of hours prior to steaming.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tsquared

QuoteIf I were to give it a go, I would try cold smoking for a couple of hours prior to steaming.
Good point Habs. That did occur to me as well. I got this idea from pg 200 in Smoke and Spice. The Jamisons don't include crisping it up in the oven after smoking but I thought I would because of the way the Bradley handles poultry. I decided I would try their method rather than cold smoke first so I will post about it when it happens.
T2

Habanero Smoker

Great! I haven't smoked duck in ages, and I'm looking for different ways to smoke whole duck.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NoCaSmoka

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8957.0

Not "just" smoked, since it's cooked for 5 hours in the oven.  I replied to the original thread what I did.  Basically...

2 hours in teriyaki/garlic/ginger marinade.
2 hours "cold" apple smoke (in Bradley with only smoking element on - outside temp ~50F, smoker max temp ~90F).
Make shallow slits all over skin (into fat, not into meat).  Place on rack on a sheet pan.  Into 300F oven.
Every hour poke duck all over with point of sharp knife and turn duck over, draining rendered fat.
After 4 hours increase temp to 350 and baste for 30-60 minutes.  (I did it for 30).

Tender. Juicy.  Smoky.  Almost NO FAT left whatsoever.  Skin brown, crispy, delicious.  Raves from guests.
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice