What rub for back ribs.

Started by _Bear_, November 27, 2009, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, I want to try some pork back ribs this weekend for the first time, I think I am going to use the "How To Make Ribs in a Bradley Pictorial" post method. What are you guys using for a rub??
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

squirtthecat

Oh, lots of choices here...

Jan's Rub
Iceman's Butt Blast
Hal's Rub

They are all good.

I'll get you some links as soon as I find the posts again.

[edit]

Jan's rub:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90

Icemans Oink'r rub (Butt Blast):
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11739.0

And one my buddy Hal4uk did, that turned out great on loin back ribs:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12482.msg143258#msg143258

_Bear_

Thanks squirt, I will be trying one of them out tonight and smoking tomorrow.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

watchdog56

Did this formula and they were great. Going to do them for Christmas on spare ribs.

October 31 2009 Smoked ribs. First put mustard rub on ribs then put dry rub on ribs and wrapped
in cling wrap and into frig over night.Outside temp 45.
Mustard sauce;
1 12 oz can flat beer
4 cups yellow mustard
1 tbsp tabasco
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Rib rub;
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
6 tbsp granulated onion  (Chopped dry minced onions)
1/4 cup chili powder (2 small bottles)
1 tbsp black pepper
Took out and let get to room temp. Preheated smoker to 280 then turned down to 225  and
smoked for 3 hours,(2 mes.2 app,1 m,1,a,1m,2a) Take out of smoker and wrap in foil with
apple juice. Put back in smoker for 1 hour. Take out of foil and put barbeque sauce on
them and back into smoker for 1 hour. The ribs will stiffen back up and the sauce will set.
The meat will pull back from the bone when done. Take a toothpick and check between ribs to
see if done. Ribs were super. Don't change a thing.

_Bear_

Thanks guys, I got just over 6 lbs rubbed and in the fridge for the night, kind of my own concoction of a rub, what I had on hand dictated ingredents. I will be smoking tomorrow, and I will post some pics. One more question I have is how much do I leave the vent open on top of the BS?
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

_Bear_

Well we got things smoking here today. The only problem I am having is the smoker can't quite get up to temp. outside temps are are just at freezing and the smoker is definatly out of the wind. It is sitting at 200* and I would love to see between 220 and 230. I have my vent running 3/4 open. Any idea how much longer to cook?

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Habanero Smoker

With the load you have, you may not have to worry about excessive moisture that can bring your temperatures down. Try closing your vent to 1/2 and see if you see an improvement in heat. If that works try 1/4 open making sure no smoke is backing into the generator. If the temperature begins to drop at 1/4 open go back to 1/2.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

_Bear_

Turned out awesome guys, thanks for all your help. Served with cornbread and brown beans

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Those are great looking ribs Bear! So what's next on the list?
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

Great lookin ribs Bear, One awesome cook makes you want to research the next one. It's all here and on the recipe sight for ya!

_Bear_

Thanks guys, I think some salmon will be next. I was origanally going to do some salmon this weekend, I was at Costco to pick some up and the ribs caught my eye and you know the rest of the story LOL.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ