The World's Toughest Pork Butt!!

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, December 01, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

I'm starting to think that I have found the toughest pork butt there is. Right now, it's been in the Bradley for 25 hours. It was about 7.5 lbs and the temp on it is only up to 184. This one should have been ground up for sausage the way it looks. Sure does smell good though!!  :D :D :D
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Have you tried the fork test, some times they are done but still not 195 F

HawkeyeSmokes

Yup, tried the fork test at 183. This sucker is just being stubborn OU, thanks for the suggestion.
HawkeyeSmokes

Wildcat

What cabinet temp are you cooking at? Better yet, what are you utilizing to monitor the cabinet temp? It could be that you are cooking at a lower temp than you think. As long as you are cooking at 190 or above, it will eventually get done. Also, what rack position are you using?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ronbeaux

Strange as it seems, there ARE tough pork butts that will fight you to the end. Don't worry. You will win as long as you don't loose power. I cook at 250 in my comp pits and the last time I cooked for a crowd I had 8 in there. 7 got done like you set your watch and that last one went 3 more hours before it gave up.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

HawkeyeSmokes

I'm using the Auber PID and it's holding right at 230 on the rack where the butt is. The Maverick temp has been pretty close to the same all the time. I think Ron is right, some times you just get a tough piece of meat. It's to the point it's getting pretty funny. Never finished one in the pressure cooker, but there's always a 1st time.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Wildcat

I have had a couple to be stubborn in getting up to temp, but none have turned up tough in texture as long as I had enough fat. I'd just let it continue to render. Let it get done when it does. Should turn out fine.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Yep it'll get there, brisket's can be the same way...some will fight ya!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

HawkeyeSmokes

Well things are moving right along here. It's all the way up to 188.  ;D I'm thinkin that at 190 I stick a fork in it again.  ::)
HawkeyeSmokes

hal4uk

25@230?  and counting?  That's seriously stubborn... :o
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ronbeaux

Yep, that one will be a 190 butt. That's why I always say 190ish.

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: hal4uk on December 01, 2009, 05:29:58 PM
25@230?  and counting?  That's seriously stubborn... :o

Forgot to mention, I bumped the temp up to 240 to get this far!
HawkeyeSmokes

hal4uk

Well, at least this gives you time to stop... reflect... and name an heir to that butt...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

I bought a package of 2 butts last week, about 19 pounds i think. Did an overnight smoke, put them in about 4:30pm, smoked for 4 hours, changed out the water bowl and went to bed. Strangely enough the one on the top rack got to 190 at 11am the next day. The one at the bottom that is usually the first did not get to 190 until 2pm! Blame the pig not the cooker!

FLBentRider

I've had them do that too.

A four to five hour difference on the same cook.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!