Cold weather.

Started by MPTubbs, December 02, 2009, 10:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPTubbs

Hello everyone!
Been reading different forums and it looks like U guys got your stuff together in this one.
Looking to buy a new smoker. I've used charcoal and now gas and just can't get the temp up where I need to be if it's cold outside with either. A friend of mine said to buy an electric smoker and my problem would be over.
Will the Bradley 6 rack Diggi work in cold weather......say around 30 to 40 deg. outside?
How many years of service can I expect out of the 6 rack diggi?

Thanks, Mike.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mptubbs!

I don't live in the cold, but someone who does will be along shortly.

If you pre-heat a little longer and can keep it out of the wind, and don't open the door too much, you should be fine.

I would think that, if properly cared for, a DBS should last for a while, at least 5 years. You may need to replace a component here or there.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome the forum.

FLB has you covered with his thoughts. I just put a 13lb brisket in my 6 rack Bradley and the temp here right now is 33 deg. Don't see any problem getting it back up to my desired smoking temp of 220. The 4 rack should heat up even better as the 4 and 6 rack units both use the same heating elements. 
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

There are few members in this forum that live in Alaska and they have had their Bradleys for some years now with no pronblems. Where I live it is getting in the upper forties and I am getting ready to smoke a couple of legs of lamb. I have the Digital 6 rack.

Good luck and you wont go wrong with Bradley. If you have any questions just ask.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Huntnfreak

I have the digital 4 rack and live in Minnesota.  I have had no problem with mine so far, but it is my first cold weather season with it.  It's been in the low 30's here and have been using it regulary with no complications.  I even left mine in the wind to see if it made a difference.  I don't think it did. 

MPTubbs

Hawkeye......sounds like your in Iowa?
I'm right next to U here in Nerbrska. I'm pushing towards the 6 rack and your input just made up my mind! 6 rack diggi it is.

Thanks!

HawkeyeSmokes

I'm in WI about 200 mikes north from Iowa. Enjoy that new smoker when you get it and here's a link to the recipe site. Old's Place. There's a lot of great info there.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

mptubbs, welcome to the forum and looking forward to you getting that 6racker.

If you have any questions, just ask.

MPTubbs

Thanks to all!
Been doing some reading on this forum and I believe I'm going to learn alot from all of you.
Told the wife this is probably the best smoker for the money.
The 6 racker is my Christmas present from my wife......I don't know if I can wait that long to start playing!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

canadiansmoker

Those temps should not be a problem at all. I plan on smoking some salmon this weekend and the temp will be around 0 Fahrenheit, so your temps will be fine.

MPTubbs

Glad to hear U have no problems in Canadia @ that temp.
Looks like I picked a winner!

OU812

Welcome to the fun mptubbs.

You cant go wrong with any of the Bradley's

I have the DBS 6 rack and also live in Nebraska, didnt have any problems smoking last winter as long as I kept it out of the wind.

canadiansmoker

Quote from: OU812 on December 03, 2009, 09:06:36 AM
Welcome to the fun mptubbs.

You cant go wrong with any of the Bradley's

I have the DBS 6 rack and also live in Nebraska, didnt have any problems smoking last winter as long as I kept it out of the wind.

I agree with OU812, wind can sometimes be a bigger determining factor in how long things take than the temperature. I would rather have the smoker going in 0 degree weather with no wind than 30 degree weather with a 20 mph wind blowing.

MPTubbs

Been smok'n for a few years and I know all too well about the wind!
Thanks all for the warm welcome to this forum. ;)