Other hobbies that may involve smoking

Started by _Bear_, December 02, 2009, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, I have a few other hobbies that I want to take my smoker along and use at the same time. I am an RV'er and we like going on extended RV trips and I would love to take the smoker along. As for power I have a 5500 watt Onan Genset on my 5th wheel as well as 300 watts of solar pannals, 6 golf cart battries and a 3000 watt inverter. What are the power requierments of the Bradly digital smoker? I would hate to run the genset continually for 10 hrs or what ever time I need, but I am assuming I could alternate between battries and genset. My other hobby is Drag racing, I have my 5th wheel there as well, but my car trailer is there as well with a 5500 watt Honda that is running continually during the weekend. I would love to throw on a bunch of ribs for my crew and racing buddies at the track, it would be the most popular pit at the track LOL. Here are some pics of my RV and my race car.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Pachanga

Nice looking rig and setup.

The Bradley has a 500 watt cooking element and a 125 watt smoking element.  Add the motor to kick in the pucks every 20 minutes and a very small amount of wattage for the controls on the digital to get the total load.

I would say a little less than 800 watts will cover the requirements.  I am sure Bradley can give you exact information and point you in the right direction.

It would be a nice touch to smoke some ribs at your outings.  You will not be short of friends.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

FLBentRider

N I C E  rig, Fiver, and Race car Bear!

Love the Tow Vehicle!

The max draw on the DBS should be ~625 watts or about 5 amps if I did the math right.

That's 500W for the heater and 125W for the Smoke generator.

I just bought a Bradley Propane smoker for our RV, you might want to consider that as well. It uses AA batteries for the puck advance, or you can wire it to 12Volt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

For power your looking at 120 volts 50-60 Hz 5.5 amps. 500 watt cooking element and 125 watt smoking element. Nice car, I used to race too, just bracket racing but had loads of fun. Got a little expensive so I gave it up. 68 Buick Gran Sport 11 1/2 compression with an RV cam. Beautiful loper.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Nice Looking setups there Bear!! If you ever make it to my neck of the woods give me a holler!!

http://www.tristateraceway.com/
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

You're kinda stretching the envelope here, Bear.  Calling your setup a "Recreational Vehicle" is like calling a battleship a "boat."

classicrockgriller

I am not much of a race fan, but if there is good q and pretty girls sounds like fun to me.

hal4uk

Holy Smokes, Bear!
My cats are happy with a plastic milk ring.
Ain't no how - no way - I'm gonna let 'em see YOUR toy collection.

For the record:
CRG's lyin'.  He'd wash up for Bad Q and pretty girls.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Lookin' at those pics again...
I really hate to bring this up, but...
NePaS...  Check your driveway.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Now that's a nice lookin' rig. As a trucker for 20 yrs I can really appreciate the semi. My last truck that I owned was a 96' FLD 120 with 70" condo sleeper. The last road truck I drove was a 2000 volvo town truck. It had 60 miles on it when the company bought it for me. Drove her for 7 yrs, and I loved that truck. It was the most comfortable thing to drive.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

If you've got it, it came on a truck.  Awrighten.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

_Bear_

Thanks guys, I am sure I can run my smoker off of my battery bank with very little genset use. As for my tow vehical, it is a 2000 Volvo 660. It is a 66" condo bunk. It has a 20" TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker ect. I bought it in 2005 in Winnepeg, it was an Arnold Brothers transport truck with 1.2 million KM on it but it was inframed with a new trans @ one million KM, so it will probably last longer than me LOL. It has a 425hp Volvo engine and a 15 speed trans with 3.58 gears, I average over 10 mpg with it fully loaded. It was a LOT cheaper to rig this up than buy a moter home with comperable HP, even with me removing a drive axle and building the deck on it. The trailer is a 41 ft toy triple slide with a 10 ft garage in the back, I carry the wifes quad back there with my BBQ, chain saw ect, ect and now my smoker will fit nicely back there  ;D. I carry 350 gals of fresh water on the tractor as well as carry my quad, and as you can see I pull my old 93 YJ Jeep behind the trailer. I will say 1 thing, the Volvo is the smoothest riding vehical I have ever owned, and I am definatly safe on the road. It is liscensed as a private truck, just like a pick up, so no stopping at scales or doing logboks.

ANd thanks for the comments on the race car as well. I only race local for now, but some day I may venture to other tracks. It is a 1972 Camaro with a 540 cubic inch alcohol injected big block chevy engine. I dynoed it in the spring at 906 hp @ 6800 rpm and 777 ft/lb tq @ 5200 rpm. I run the 1/4 mile in 9.2XX seconds @ 155 mph, its a fun ride.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Quarlow

Seeing your beauty of a rig makes me long for the open roads aga...............Bphhh ok I was lying and I couldn't say that with a straight face. But that is still a sweet ride. Even if you got a motorhome with that much hp's you still wouldn't have half the unit you have there.

OBS
BBQ