A Must to Know About Cold Smoking

Started by JadaScott, December 02, 2009, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JadaScott

"Cold Smoking" is done over a much longer period of time, e.g. 12-24 hours, over a smoldering fire (below 85°F). Since foods are held in the temperature danger zone, rapid microbial growth (40-140°F) could occur. Therefore, only those meat products that have been fermented, salted, or cured, should be cold-smoked. Most cold-smoked products should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F before they are eaten. However, not all cold-smoked foods are treated this way, e.g., smoked salmon and cold smoked mackerel, which are very delicately smoked for a long period of time and remain raw even when eaten. Most food scientists cannot recommend cold-smoking methods because of the inherent risks and as such, at-risk consumers are encouraged to avoid these foods.
As you know, the business is cyclic with styles. It's no different from clothing styles.
Bennetts | Bennetts Online Store

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Thank you for that valuable info Jada.

Look, do you know where your frozen ground beef patties have been?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on December 02, 2009, 10:25:47 PM

I know, I know, I know...................Naaaaaaaaaaaa that is were my hotdogs were.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on December 02, 2009, 10:30:28 PM

I know, I know, I know...................Naaaaaaaaaaaa that is were my hotdogs were.

HR
I used to work in a Meat packing plant. You DO NOT want to know where your hotdogs have been or what they are make out of. Also have you ever looked at the ingredients of Braunsweiger that you buy in the store?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 02, 2009, 10:33:43 PM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on December 02, 2009, 10:30:28 PM
HR
I used to work in a Meat packing plant. You DO NOT want to know where your hotdogs have been or what they are make out of. Also have you ever looked at the ingredients of Braunsweiger that you buy in the store?
Chris I have done that once, but then decided never again. The only two things I want to know on a product now are the weight and the price. The rest I leave up to faith.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

hal4uk

If you put a stick in water, it appears to be bent.
One clue at time, grasshoppers.
Awrighten.  Mmm.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

Can't be half as bad as some vegetables. Think about it, you pick them out of the ground where over thousands of years many animals have defecated or urinated, some might have been as recent as the day before picking. :P
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Father Tom

???I also use to work in a Meat Slaughter House, Tomato Cannery and Packing vegtables in the field.  Yes i know what goes into all the food processing today.  I have eaten it all and have lasted to 75.  I haven't figured out a way not to....  If someone out there knows something else to fill my gut, Please let me know.

FT ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

pensrock

QuoteAlso have you ever looked at the ingredients of Braunsweiger that you buy in the store?
Yes years ago, my dad loves the stuff. I would never touch it.  :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JadaScott on December 02, 2009, 09:46:39 PM
"Cold Smoking" is done over a much longer period of time, e.g. 12-24 hours, over a smoldering fire (below 85°F). Since foods are held in the temperature danger zone, rapid microbial growth (40-140°F) could occur. Therefore, only those meat products that have been fermented, salted, or cured, should be cold-smoked. Most cold-smoked products should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F before they are eaten. However, not all cold-smoked foods are treated this way, e.g., smoked salmon and cold smoked mackerel, which are very delicately smoked for a long period of time and remain raw even when eaten. Most food scientists cannot recommend cold-smoking methods because of the inherent risks and as such, at-risk consumers are encouraged to avoid these foods.

Thats because these so called food scientists are puppets manipulated by the USDA and FDA.

In other words THEY want YOU and I to do what THEY want...................I DONT THINK SO