Smoker Rookie

Started by DLT, February 16, 2004, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLT

I have a few questions of concern about the smoker that I just bought.I just finished a batch of German Sausage,the mix was a Hi Mountain Jerky product.As bad as it was looking like it was going to be,it turned out pretty good.This was the first time I used my BS.The directions said that I had to turn the heat up to 180 F until the internal temp. of the sausages reached 156 F.I had all 4 racks full and the heat dial cranked right up and the vent open just a bit but the highest temp. I could get it was 175 F.The temp.outside was around 32 F. I had to take them out and finish them in the oven to get them to that 156 F. When I emptied it the temp.shot up to 210.in a matter of miniutes and right as I turned it off it was reading 290 F. Is this all because I had too much on the racks,was it too cold outside or is this just normal.I had an idea that if I covered the whole smoker with a large box that this would help the temp. rise but it didn't work,niether did setting it in the sun.I would welcome any help on this topic.Thanks a bunch.
DLT
Red Deer,Alberta,Canada.

Fuzzybear

Gee DLT, I don't have an answer cause I've never completely filled my racks but I would expect that to be part of the answer...the more stuff you have inside, the longer it takes to reach temp...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

DLT,
 I packed my Bradley with sausages,all four racks plus four extra racks inverted on the original racks. Never had a problem bringing it up to temp even when it was 20F outside.I do have it out of the wind. How long did you let it smoke? Did you keep the door shut?The temp will slowly rise.Are you using an extension cord? All these could be factors.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

DLT

Bassman,
I Did have to use an extension cord,but it was only about 6 feet long.Ismoked the meat for about 3 hours.I think you answered my problem.You said that the temp. will slowly rise. I think that I opened the door too often. Being the first time that I have ever smoked something on my own,I was a little worried and figured it needed to be checked. Hopefully next time I will trust it and let it do its job. When you talk about inverting your racks does this mean you turn them over and set them on top of your original racks?
Thanks for your info Jack.

Darryl

Mando

DLT, I think you should get a thermometer with a probe on it so you won't have to open the door. Also, I think 3 hrs. is not long enough to bring it up to temp when it is full. Withv that much in it, it takes a long time to get hot. Good Luck

Bassman

Yes DLT,
The extra racks are inverted and placed on the original racks,and it doubles your capacity. I bought 4 extra racks from Chez-Bubba. I agree with Mando, A remote thermometer takes all the guess work out of it. I have one with 2 probes,one for the internal meat temp. & one for the smoker temp.I figure it will keep the door thermometer honest.[:)]

Jack

DLT

Thanks Mando and Bassman.
The thermometer sounds like the thing to do.And I will be more pacient next time and leave the door shut.Thanks again guys.

Darryl.

Chez Bubba

DLT,

As you have figured out, opening the door will cause a lot of temperature loss, especially when you're in the early stages and the meat is cold. Rule of thumb is every time you open the door, add 45 minutes to the cook time.

Regarding the extension cord, length is a consideration but more important is it's gauge of wire. You have to have a heavy duty one capable of supplying plenty of juice.

It's a learning process, but once you have it down, you'll love it. That's why we're all here, to help the newbies avoid our mistakes & get to enjoying it faster. Ask away.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Mistakes?[?]

What mistakes?[?]

Heck, I avoided one on my bird thanks to this website![;)]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

DLT

Chez Bubba,
Hey,thanks for the info. I didn't realize that opening the door would add that much extra cooking time.That's good to know.Even though I had trouble,I got compliments today on the way the sausage turned out.I'm sure that I'll be posting more questions before my smoking days are over.It's great to have people that are so helpful.Thanks again.

Darryl
Alberta,Canada.

MallardWacker

DLT,

These are my few humble thoughts about some ground rules with the BS I have noticed.  I will admit there are many more experienced with the sacred smoke than I.  I glady bow to those on the forum who have held the torch longer than I.  Depending on what you are smoking these thoughts might change.  I mainly smoke pork and beef.

My observations:

Preheat Preheat Preheat.  I preheat for a couple hours while I get things ready.  If it's an early morning start, I set the alarm, turn it on and go back to bed.  I preheat to about 225.

<b><u><font color="red">DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR!!!!</font id="red"></u></b> Only if there is fire or something.  Curiosity killed the cat.  I found that this one thing has helped the most.  On a 8 hour smoke, I look in it about 4 hours or so.  This usually is only to put the last two pucks on the heat plate. (I stack 'em)

Get a remote thermeter!

Get a 12ga. extension cord.  Mine is a 50 footer, I have no problem.  Get a good quality one.  You get what you pay for.

Clean the kitchen up when you are done. or else...

And did I mention, don't open that door.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

DLT

MallardWacker,
Thanks for the info.One more question.Is there any reason to rotate the racks around?

Darryl

bighoof

Where did you all get the remote thermometer, overstock.com had the Remote Check dual probe for 38.95 at xmas time, but i was to late, now they are out of stock. Bunch of them were on ebay too for cheap, now none.

Bassman

I Got my remote thermometer from
//www.northerntool.com
The Brand name is Maverick.cost about $50.00.but is worth it because it has 2 probes and reaches up to 100 yards.I love it![:D]
I think they do have a cheaper one.

Jack