Smoker Rookie

Started by DLT, February 16, 2004, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefJeff

Today is supposed to be the day.Will Fed-Ex come to the rescue?Stay tuned.[}:)][?]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

ChefJeff

Fed-Ex delivered.Got my smoker & cover,pucks.Everything![:D][:D][^]  I'm going to put it together & season it.Thank you all for your support.

SMOKIN & SPOKEN  Fuzzy-I hope you got your stuff also.                   P.S. Everything is smokin O.K.-I can't understand not being able to put it together it only works one way.(or look at the picture}

Chez Bubba

Congrats Jeff,

We look forward to hearing about the sumptuous creations of the very near future.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Very cool![8D]

Got home to my cover and 48 pack o' apple wood - salmon this weekend for me!!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

I got pecan,alder,& hickory.Going  to do some ribs with 2hickory to 1pecan per hour.I will let you know how they turn out.[8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN       P.S. Pucks advanced & temp. was at 200F.at the !/2 way mark.I'm Happy.[^][^]

Fuzzybear

Forgot to mention - my apple pucks were a 120 box - I think ABBQ might have been embarrased and made a good will gesture upgrading me from 48 to 120...

Glendora, CA - USA!

Sheriff

Fuzzybear,

We are all happy campers now.. I just got my  advancing chips and 120 mesquite bisq. yesterday from chezz.... right on time ( because his wife took the order)  Life is good..  Has anyone located an outdoor table for the Bradley that can set on the covered patio?

Sheriff

ChefJeff

I was a happy camper.I pre-heated and put in a nice 8lb. Brisket that was rubbed last nite AND my feeder wasn't working[:(][:(]I followed Kirks advice & took it apart it is now working[:D]      My question is do the bisquettes get "stale" very dried out? The ones I have are just about breaking apart in my hand.[V]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />My question is do the bisquettes get "stale" very dried out? The ones I have are just about breaking apart in my hand.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The bisquits won't dry out under normal conditions, and I'm not so sure it would matter much if they did, some people swear by drier wood.  They're brittle by design. They're compacted rather loosely so they have a low smoking point.

ChefJeff

Thank you. Kirk what's your take on this?[?]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

Sheriff:
For a table, I was thinking of getting a tool cart from the local auto supply shop (Kragen/Autozone...) and taking some snips and cutting out the front part so the door on the smoker could swing open.

Kummok was working on a smoker cabinet but I don't know how it's worked out for him yet.  I need more mesquite biskits....time to order...

Chef:  My biskits are dry too but like Regforte said, I think they are made this way - just enough goop to keep them somewhat together - the bottom of my box looks like a load of sawdust was dumped in there.

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />Thank you. Kirk what's your take on this?[?]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The only time I've ever experienced what you describe was in the pre-Bubba puck era with the two "leftovers". As I understand it, the binder is basically "Jello" and it would reason to me that heat would cause it to lose it's binding ability.

I'm assuming you don't store your bisquettes on top of your furnace, so what puzzles me is the fact that it's winter. If it were summer & your package sat in a closed up semi trailer for 4 days, that might explain it.

When you say "breaking apart", are they literally busting in half? It is common for them to "shed" from the edges but they shouldn't be crumbling to the touch.

I just did a test. I took a bisquette and dropped it 3 feet onto the counter. A bit of "shed" fell off but the bisquette remained perfectly intact. How do yours compare?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefJeff

Kirk,They are drier than what you describe ,but I guess they are O.K. My Brisket came out great.[:p][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN