Brisket MY FIRST IN THE BRADLEY

Started by classicrockgriller, December 03, 2009, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Thanks everybody, I don't know why I waited so long to do this. I guess the fear of the unknown.

I tasted some of the gator tail before I foiled it and I am stoked.

KevinG

I never did a brisket and was wondering if the type of meat you use is called flat cut. Your meat doesn't appear to have a lot of fat on top so I'm assuming that's what it is. There will come a day when I want to tackle one myself and I'm curious what to look for. They say if it's not flat cut there is too much fat on it for an electric smoker, is that true?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: KevinG on December 04, 2009, 10:42:58 AM
I never did a brisket and was wondering if they type of meat you use is called flat cut. Your meat doesn't appear to have a lot of fat on top so I'm assuming that's what it is. There will come a day when I want to tackle one myself and I'm curious what to look for. They say if it's not flat cut there is too much fat on it for an electric smoker, is that true?

Kevin, it's no problem doing a whole brisket in the Bradley. Check the recipe site for the posts by WTS and Pachanga. They both have great ideas on prepping it for smoking. I just finished one yesterday and after some trimming of the fat, it turned out great. I'm sure CRG will answer this to, but his looks like a whole brisket and it was over 13 lbs which would be to large for the flat only.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, they are easy peasy.   I've done quite a few flats, some with very little fat cap at all, and they turned out fine.

Damn good looking eats, CRG!

classicrockgriller

Kevin, HES is right. It was a whole brisket. Look back at the finished pic and that is a fat cap that just got seasoned and smoke.

I trimed a little of the Thick or fat fat and did trim some of the fat out between the two section but not all.

Like HES said look at both WTS and Pachanga postings in the recipe site. They are both masters in their own way of smoking a brisket.

I didn't want to get too crazy with this one in case I had to feed it to the dogs. ;D

If I wouldn't have cut down the temp during the nite mine would have finished off quicker.

I'm gonna cut that Gator up here shortly and we will know the whole story, but what I tasted it was Great!

KevinG

Thanks all. Now I can try and wrestle the beast.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

westexasmoker

Thats a good looking brisket there CRG!  Congrats!  Wait till it rest for a bit....your gonna be in brisket nirvana!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

dbondy

Congrats that looks awsome, can,t wait to try to do one.
Great pis to. :) :)

classicrockgriller

There should be a law against eating this "Gator Brisket". I grade myself on my smokes and this one gets ....... AA++++++

Can kick myself in my butts for waiting so long.

I truly want to Thank All the members present and in the past for from everybody's Post, I learn something.

Pachanga

QuoteI tasted some of the gator tail before I foiled it and I am stoked.

That is always the cooks prerogative.  I personally taste test every brisket that goes through my kitchen to make sure it is up to standard.  That little bit of edge always seems to be wonderful.

Your brisket looks great and I am sure it turned out as good as any could get.  The bark looks perfect.  I am sure it tastes as good as it looks.  To me, there is really no other item that has that particular flavor blend of smoke, bark, texture, fat and lean.  It is magic. 

It is going to be in the 20's here in Arlington, TX tonight but I might freeze my tail for a little of that gator tail.

Good luck and let the smoke roll,

Pachanga

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Brisket

Damn good looking brisket CRG

I cant believe you aint never cooked a brisket before

ArnieM

Yep, good lookin' brisket CRG.  I'm with OU and find it hard to believe you've never made it before.  But, then, I haven't done sausage or bacon yet.  One day ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

OU and Arnie, I have just not in the Bradley, but not very often and was a long time ago.

Actually my wife was dissapointed when I put this brisket in the Bradley as THAT is probably the last meat that she cooks.

I let her have some and she said she would NEVER cook a brisket in the oven again.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 04, 2009, 03:43:36 PM
OU and Arnie, I have just not in the Bradley, but not very often and was a long time ago.

Actually my wife was dissapointed when I put this brisket in the Bradley as THAT is probably the last meat that she cooks.

I let her have some and she said she would NEVER cook a brisket in the oven again.

CRG, I guess you showed her...HUH  ;D ;D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller