venison

Started by squirtthecat, December 02, 2009, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote1 tablespoon Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix per pound of loin

What is Morton's Sugar Cure?   Never seen that around here...   I can get Tender Quick at a few places nearby.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 03, 2009, 04:39:38 AM
He said they had the loins (they ended up with 2 does, a la 'FreePas') cut into chops.   I guess I get to experiment with a top sirloin roast.  ???

It's all good, smokers are made for tougher cuts of meat anyhow. But don't worry, it's not like shoe leather, most people can't tell the difference anyhow. I've served top round, bottom round, eye of round, and backstraps all with excellent results.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

Quote from: KevinG on December 03, 2009, 06:29:09 AM
It's all good, smokers are made for tougher cuts of meat anyhow. But don't worry, it's not like shoe leather, most people can't tell the difference anyhow. I've served top round, bottom round, eye of round, and backstraps all with excellent results.

Good deal.   I'll wander through the recipe site and see what others have done with the various roasts..

Maybe a simple brine, then a simple rub.   Or I can hit it with some CT, I've got boat loads of that..

I think they normally do theirs in the dreaded 'crock pot', so this will be an order of magnitude better to begin with!

bear@70

I just deboned both hind quarters and cleaned.Took cheese cloth and sowed each quarter into its own bag just like a ham for hanging in smoke house.
First used Tender-Quick(  1.   4 cups water to one cup Tender-Quick   
                                    2.   4 T brown sugar
                                    3.   2 heaping T garlic powder
                                    4.   1 T white pepper or less use your taste
                                    5.   Inject meat with this using needle
                                    6.   put meat into crock and keep mixing tender-Quick using recipe on back of bag
                                          until meat is completely covered also added juniperberrys and more brown sugar
                                          weight down with plate to keep meat under brine must be kept at 38 or lower
                                          if not you must add more salt or just put in frig.keep in brine for 1 day per pound of meat. 10 pounds=10 days i did two ten pounds =10 days.Air dry meat 2 hours put in smoker open damper wide open,set smoker temp at 130-40 degrees,for one hour or until out side of meat is dry.Close damper and smoke I use cherry or what ever your taste.Increase smokier temp to 175 and hold until internal temp of meat reaches152and cool and hang in cold for week or so mold mite grow don't worry trim of when ready to slice into chipped like beef.Instead of waiting for a week I use my commercial Dehydrator.Old way is start smoking at125 and hold 12 hours drop temp to 115 smoke up to 10 hours (i like 2 hours) and hold at temp with no smoke for several days.Expect about 40% shrink (NOW YOU HAVE MADE DRIED/SMOKED BEEF VENISON)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bear@70!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun bear@70

I do dried deer quite often, almost the same way, I let mine dry in the fridge and have never got mold.

pensrock

Sounds pretty good, however I never close my vent the whole way as you suggested.

KevinG

Another good way if you're overly concerned about drying out is to get a larding needle and inject some bacon and wrap it in bacon. It does an excellent job of keeping the meat moist and adds that bacon flavor to it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Take some of the backstrap  and cut about 1/4 inch medallions. Place in a food bag and kinda flatten them.

Sprinkle a little seasoning, add a slice of onion, jalapeno, cheese. Roll that up and wrap in bacon and smoke or grill.

Buck36

I did Hab's Canadian bacon recipe on one backstrap and a brown sugar cure from Butcher & Packer from a doe this year. They both turned out fantastic.

Experiment and see what you like. If it turns out bad, then get back out into the woods!