"I am sick of Turkey"

Started by squirtthecat, December 04, 2009, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

My wife actually said this the other night.. (after having smoked turkey, oh, every day for a month)

Ok then!

Cue the guys with the sharp knives and white lab coats:

9 pound chuck roast.   That cost a pretty penny, but we'll see how it compares to brisket.

I'm also doing a 8 pound pork butt for a coworker.   Mustard slather, and a heavy coast of Bad Byron's Butt Rub:

The chuck got a mustard slather, then a ton of 'Magic Dust' laid on it:

Here we go!  3.3 hours of Pecan and a temp of 220* (measured at the top of the cabinet - we'll trick the Ranco into allowing it to go a bit higher in there)

It's currently 19 degrees outside.   No wind.   This should be interesting.   I have a small fan in the cabinet helping push the smoke/moisture away.   It's gonna get wicked cold, and I don't want condensation dripping back on the OBS. (or liquid smokecicles forming)

I'm monitoring the chuck and the cabinet temp with my ET-73.   We'll check back later to see how the Bradley is doing.

smokeitall

That looks great Squirt.  Suppose to be in the low 20's here tonight, brrrr.  I have to do a few butts soon to bring with me up to WI for the holidays, rt was requested.  I could probably just send the pulled pork and they wouldn't even notice I wasn't there.  :D  hmmm
SIA

classicrockgriller

I like the looks of them two. Only 3.2 hrs of smoke?

Where's your spirited heart.

_Bear_

Looks awesome. Anxiously awaiting final pictures
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 04, 2009, 06:53:55 PM

It was cold and I was in a hurry. That's all I had stuffed in the pocket of my sweat pants.  :D

Is that a 3 hour stack of Pecan Bisquettes, or are you happy to see me?

(I have to do the slanty writing tonight, as Hal4Uk is enduring unpleasantries I don't even want to think about)

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 04, 2009, 07:03:37 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 04, 2009, 06:53:55 PM

It was cold and I was in a hurry. That's all I had stuffed in the pocket of my sweat pants.  :D

Is that a 3 hour stack of Pecan Bisquettes, or are you happy to see me?

(I have to do the slanty writing tonight, as Hal4Uk is enduring unpleasantries I don't even want to think about)

Did he have to go out to eat with his wife?

squirtthecat

Quote from: _Bear_ on December 04, 2009, 07:00:27 PM
Looks awesome. Anxiously awaiting final pictures

Thanks Bear.  It will be a loooonnngggggg time before we see the end results.   I'm just hoping they both get close to done (shooting for 200*) before we have to leave tomorrow afternoon for my company Christmas party.  If they are close, I'll FTC them and pile the towels on.   If not - they'll go (in covered pans) in a roaster at 200* and I'll pray the cats don't pry the lid off and tear into them before we get home at midnight.   :o

The chuck roast will be shredded/chopped like pulled pork.   That is it's destiny..

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 04, 2009, 07:15:47 PM
Did he have to go out to eat with his wife?

He wasn't kidding about Branson & "Andy Williams"..

I believe tonight is

Then tomorrow night:

[shudder]

I'm eagerly awaiting a text message from him..

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

7:30AM, time for a peek.

BRRRR..   Talk about 'cold smoking':

Everybody is looking happy inside:

I filled the pan, rotated them (left the butt on the bottom), and put the meat probe into the butt.   It's at 170, the chuck is at 155.

classicrockgriller

Boy the Bradley did good in it's home. It's 23 here this morn. Gettin too old for cold weather.

They are looking good squirt.

squirtthecat

I need to fast-track my 'range hood' installation to suck more of the smoke/moisture out of that cabinet.  It's getting pretty messy inside.     :o

ronbeaux

Looking good! It's 31 here and snow still on the ground. It's a hoot watching the traffic cams.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.