Smoking turkey one and finishing another day?

Started by pfowl01, December 06, 2009, 05:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about smoking a 12lb turkey for the in-laws on Christmas. I would have to smoke it here at home and then bring it to their house a few days later. Has anyone smoked a turkey just until the smoke is done rolling and then refrigerate and finish in the oven another day? I was thinking of doing this....no brine just hot smoke for a couple of hours, wrap it up tight and in the frig until finished in the oven.

3rensho

Sounds to me like there is a SERIOUS potential for nasty bacterial growth in that plan.  I would hot smoke it to an IT of 160 (in thigh) - more than a couple of hours definitely, refrigerate and then warm up again later an in-laws.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

I would echo what 3rensho stated.

I have smoked a turkey to a couple degrees below done, refrigerated and warmed in a 250F oven  a day or two later.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

I too agree. I think the less time between smoking and oven finish the better.

NePaSmoKer

I'm with everyone else.

Not a very good idea. Maybe if you smoked it early in the AM before heading out but not days.

nepas

Quarlow

I got to go with the guys on this one for sure. I would rather get up real early in the morning and smoke/cook it then FTC it till later.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pfowl01

Thanks for the replys everyone.....I was wondering about some kind of nastys myself. I will have to finish it here and just re-heat at the in-laws. Thanks again everyone ;D

Quarlow

If you get that thing all cook up, then just FTC it it will keep hot for 3,4 hrs. FTC stands for Foil wrap, wrap in a couple of Towels and the stick it in a Cooler that is not to much bigger than what you need.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

sterlingpriceporker

for what is worth i Brined than cold smoked then deep fried a turkey. I had two days between the smoke and the deep fry. I kept the bird in the frig between the cold smoke and the deep fry and it can out fine.... let me know if you want more info and maybe pictures if i can figure out how to up load them .
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.