Smoked Whole Chicken

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 06, 2009, 05:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

That is a cool idea. Do you contain the pellets or just lay them on. The first thing that came to mind was cutting the bottom out of a tuna can and set it on the burner.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ronbeaux

Sorry I didn't elaborate on the crab boil. They pegged it real good. Old bay is the closest thing I've found to it. Kick it up with some red pepper and it's close.

STAND up wind when you use it for boiling. The longer you let it soak the spicier it gets.

Stupid video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-AbVf31Vs
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Quarlow on December 07, 2009, 06:08:34 PM
That is a cool idea. Do you contain the pellets or just lay them on. The first thing that came to mind was cutting the bottom out of a tuna can and set it on the burner.

I have a small foil tray but they smoke better when i just put em on the slide.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Ron,
If I ever make it down to your neck of the woods. I will buy the beer you just boil up some of them mudbugs. Damn they looked good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

OH YEAH

Those bugs do look good. Thats the way we eat em at my wifes family place in Baton Rouge.

Do you purge them in fresh water?

nepas

Tenpoint5

Nepas,
In the video he said he rinsed them twice in the cooler. I guess that would be purging them. Ron said that the water was running clear after the second rinse so he didn't need to do it a third time.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Neat video, Ron!

There is a place near Springfield that has fresh crawfish flown in a couple times a week during the summer.  They sell them raw, or boiled up and ready to eat by the pound.   Might have to look into that..

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 08, 2009, 06:40:09 AM

Neat video, Ron!

There is a place near Springfield that has fresh crawfish flown in a couple times a week during the summer.  They sell them raw, or boiled up and ready to eat by the pound.   Might have to look into that..

My wife's uncle told us to never buy bugs that are already dead, Fresh movers are better.

nepas

squirtthecat

Good to know!   These things must be flash frozen, then shipped up.

Tenpoint5

Nepas,
I know your picture is of you out hunting but it looks like a shriveled up thumb when you use it as an avatar! Just thought I thought would through that out there.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 08, 2009, 06:59:25 AM
Nepas,
I know your picture is of you out hunting but it looks like a shriveled up thumb when you use it as an avatar! Just thought I thought would through that out there.

Thanks buddy  :D

Hows that  now  ;D

dbondy

Great looking yard birds NePas, bet they tasted even better. Also cool idea of using the pellets.
ronbeaux, great vidieo. Crawfish is something on the must try list.
Quarlow have you checked sobies or foodland becuase we have old bay seasoning here in our stores. It usualy located on the bottom shelf of the spice and seasoning area.

Quarlow

Quote from: dbondy on December 08, 2009, 08:18:58 AM
Quarlow have you checked sobies or foodland becuase we have old bay seasoning here in our stores. It usualy located on the bottom shelf of the spice and seasoning area.
I've never even heard of those stores! Where might I find them. I'll google it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

NePaS - Good looking chickens.  Interesting idea with the pellets.  I don't have a pellet pooper and so don't have any around.  When I first got my OBS, the bisquettes were a few days behind.  So, I used some hickory chunks on the hot plate to season the OBS.  Got a lot of smoke.

I've never done crawfish.  We have the larger variety up here in the northeast.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Quote from: Quarlow on December 08, 2009, 08:40:16 AM
Quote from: dbondy on December 08, 2009, 08:18:58 AM
I've never even heard of those stores! Where might I find them. I'll google it.
As I suspected there is none of these SOBEY's stores within 1000 miles of me and the closest Foodland is in Ontario. Oh well. Thanks though.

OBS
BBQ