Simple Salt/pepper rub ?

Started by standles, December 06, 2009, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standles

All:

IN traveling I got some ribs from a "hole in the wall" drive through.  There was no fancy rub or sauce.  It seemed like it was a simple sal and pepper rub then smoked.

This is the first time I ran across it and wondered if any of you have done ribs this simply?  If so what is the porportion of the salt/pepper and is it really that simple?

These things seemed to good to be just that.

Any Ideas?   I was going to ask the collective before messing up a couple of racks of ribs.

Steven

Hopefull Romantic

Steven I have seen many posts here with that simple rub and they all turned out okay. Proportions are a question of personal taste and depends on what you will be smoking and what size.

I would say go for using your hunch

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Quote from: standles on December 06, 2009, 03:21:09 PM
Any Ideas?   I was going to ask the collective before messing up a couple of racks of ribs.

You really can't go too wrong keeping it simple. The Salt and Pepper rub is my standard treatment for brisket.

My "messed up" ribs in the Bradley are still pretty good.

If you keep it simple you can always add a sauce to dress it up a little.

If you go with a heavily spiced rub and it is too much, there isn't an "undo" button.

Having said that, I'm kinda partial to the "cold smoked and braised" recipe on the recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=980#post980

it makes its own sauce.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

I just recently did my first brisket in the bradley and I stayed simple. "waved" one time across the brisket with each of these.

Fine grind sea salt, cushed black pepper, seasoned pepper, jan's rub.

I was totally happy with the whole results, taste and texture. I sprinkled them in a fast wave.

KyNola

CRG,
When you participated in the Brisket Throwdown, didn't use a basic dalmation rub?  Do you recall the ratio to salt and pepper?

KyNola

Smokin Soon

With Beef, I do a simple sea salt and garlic pepper.  Chicken and pork get my favorite rub of the month to the max! 24 hours, not just overnight.

pensrock

I guess my brisket rub is a little more complex than the others. Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder and onion powder.  ;D