Homemade Sausage Bags

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 06, 2009, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I'd like to see these things in action as well...

Fair-chase

Times change and another era is almost gone.
  The bags shown are used for smoked country pork sausage. Around here they were used for probably 150 years before the Amish moved in. Around here back in the day up until about 35 years ago when the weather was just right for a few days several neighbors would all get together and kill hogs. Hams were salted and cured, fresh sausage was made ( everyone had their own unique secret recipe), and bacon was cut and salted. Everything was then hung in the old time smokehouse and cold smoked for a long time. After the smoking was complete everything was left hanging in the smokehouse as the salt, cure and generous smoke ring preserved the meat.

Being 42 and never having hogs on the farm during my life I missed this get together firsthand.

Most of the generation that did this has now died off. All the small farms are now 1 big farm, and no one around here has hogs. So this art stopped being passed down from generaation to generation. Also with Wally world right down the road this practice just became unnecessary.

Having grown up eating this kind of sausage it is the only breakfest sausage I really like. Guess it's just a countryboy thing. Fortunatly there are still some people that will make some this time of year and sell it , and I'll try and stock my freezer!

Caneyscud

Still have a couple of sausage makers using the cloth bags around here - Mayo's, Tuckers, Rice.   Growing up, when we had calves and hogs processed, the processor that we used always put the sausage up in the cloth bags.  When we'd process a deer, Mom would make the bags - used a serger - made them quick.  Hard thing was getting the hog rings on and still keep it tight.  All that was back in the days of smoked breakfast sausage.  NePas, you inspired me!  Wanna get that flavor back into my life! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

lumpy

Nice looking bags Rick............now can you sew me a pair of Mucklucks?

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Ok so here they are. Stuffed with bologna, tied and hanging.

I used 10.5 bologna recipe and then emulsified the mix. The bags stuffed pretty good. Going to smoke tomorrow.

The first one. I need to hone my sewing skills some  ;D

3 more of different sizes. Total of all 4 was 4.2 lbs. I used all beef 85/15.

Hanging. Yeah 20 lbs of venison there too  ;D

CUZ

NEPAS

HAS

A

WAY

WITH

B-O-L-O-G-N-A

And 10.5 too ;D

nepas

marauder11

Looks great. Can you use any type of cloth.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: marauder11 on December 08, 2009, 04:01:51 PM
Looks great. Can you use any type of cloth.

From what my Amish friend says you have to use cotton muslum or white sheet. I am going to use the red stitching for hot, blue for mild and white for, for, for just cuz  :D

nepas

classicrockgriller

Very Interesting to watch.

Do you have a vid on the stuffing, etc?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 04:53:11 PM
Very Interesting to watch.

Do you have a vid on the stuffing, etc?

no didnt do a vid

squirtthecat

No moisture came through them?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 08, 2009, 05:10:18 PM
No moisture came through them?

Not yet

I knew i shouldn't have sprayed 3M stuff on em  :D  :D   (kidding)

smokeitall

So after they are all done can you re-use the bag?  Very interesting.
SIA

Tenpoint5

Bags look good Nepas. I take it you like that bologna recipe then.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Everytime I look at this thread title ( Homemade Sausage Bags ) I think about my 3 SIL's

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.