Homemade Sausage Bags

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 06, 2009, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 09, 2009, 07:35:00 PM
This came out like lebanon bologna. I like it  ;D

nepas

Nepas, I just saw the recipe post.    All ground beef?   What meat/fat ratio was it?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 09, 2009, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 09, 2009, 07:35:00 PM
This came out like lebanon bologna. I like it  ;D

nepas

Nepas, I just saw the recipe post.    All ground beef?   What meat/fat ratio was it?

The beef was 85/15

Tenpoint5

Here you go Lumpy, it is a changed to deer recipe from ryteks book.

Deer Bologna
For German Bologna use Lean Beef instead of venison
For 10 lbs:

7 lbs venison
3 lbs pork butts
1 tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbs ground mustard
1 Tbs ground celery
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
4.5 Tbs powdered dextrose
2 cups soy protein concentrate (or Substitute with Non Fat Dry Milk)
2 cups ice water
2 tsp Instacure #1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt)
4 Tbs salt

Grind meat through 3/16' grinder plate. Mix ingredients and distribute evenly, add water as you go. Bologna is usually stuffed into 8" diameter casings but 3.5", 5" or any size that is handy will work too. Hang at room temperature until casings are dry. PLace in preheated smoker at 165 degrees. until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and cool in a water bath until internal temp is brought down to around 90 degrees. This type of bologna is usually not smoked. If you like a more store bought look, be sure to emulsify the meat while grinding.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

classicrockgriller

nepas looks like another winner! Kewl idea.

KyNola

Man, does that look good!

Way to go NePaS!

KyNola

Quarlow

Well I wanted to try doing this only hand stuffing but then I realized that no matter what, I was going to need a meat grinder even if I used lean ground beef cause you couldn't get the meat mixed/emulsified without one. I wish I had my mom's old hand grinder.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on December 10, 2009, 08:00:27 AM
Well I wanted to try doing this only hand stuffing but then I realized that no matter what, I was going to need a meat grinder even if I used lean ground beef cause you couldn't get the meat mixed/emulsified without one. I wish I had my mom's old hand grinder.

I made some of this: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272

from ground pork purchased at the grocery store, it was a little tougher than commercial, and I had trouble getting it mixed by hand as you stated.

Next time I am going to try to use the paddle attachment on my KitchenAid mixer and see if I fare any better.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Roadking

Well if your going to get a grinder you'll be able to stuff with it. Just purchase the stuffing tubes that'll fit the grinder and your good to go.

NePaSmoKer

Colin

Do you have a food processor? That will work to emulsify

nepas

Quarlow

No but I am looking around for somekind of meat grinder. This is something I'm going to have to try. The only thing I have is a blender and it is a cheap one someone gave me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Anybody heard of this grinder:
Privileg, brand new, still in box, food processor, meat grinder,
220 V, but with $5 adapter can be used with 110V,$45.00

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

Quarlow,
I ain't making any promises but I might have an old grinder out in the garage somewhere. If it didn't get sold in a garage sale. If I find it it is yours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

hey thanks Ten, but don't bust your butt searching for it just yet. I couldn't afford the shipping right now. I will have to wait till I get back to work. :-[

OBS
BBQ