MOJO CRIOLLO BONELESS PORK BUTT

Started by classicrockgriller, December 09, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Pachanga,
I bought a BPS and then bought some extra parts to a BPS from a forum member that had only used  the Gen.

I knew the trays were the same size and by accident one day for a smoke I inserted the BPS V Tray for a smoke and it seem to take longer to finish the cook.

About the same time a new memeber said he had a heat prob and someone posted a possible solution was to clean his V tray real good and make sure he had not
closed any vent opening by accident. I used the BPS tray again and again the IT time "seemed" longer. So since I had an extra and the metal was very bendable
I decided to try it and I don't feel like I am seeing as much over cook on the far side of the meat, but again I am a flipper/turner.

I can tell you this. the opening for vent on BS is 5/16 and the opening for BPS is a slight hair less than 1/8. I probably opened the BPS V tray to a 1/4 and again only on the non heated side. About the only prob I see using the BPS tray is heavy drippage could clog the vent holes, so it is a must clean after every cook (which I do anyway).

You are right about the maverick probe and No i didn't get back readings and I wish I would have. I did have it on the side sometime during the nite and saw no difference, but I know the back is gonna run somewhat hotter. Will do that next smoke.

I actually hadn't decided to rub the inside of the Butt until after I removed it from the marinade. I kept smelling and looking for spices to use as a rub and coffe grind all together (crystalized ginger doesn't grind good ;D) I didn't have any amount in mind just added stuf until I like it. I use alot of pkg or rubs someone else has figured out the right combination to (a man has to know his limitations)

My son is use to eating some good food that I have smoked/grilled/cooked for almost his life time and when he ask me "When I want this again, what do I call it so you will know what I mean" I knew it was a re-do. He has grown to expect it and I have to beat compliments out of him. Now I know what a wife that cooks all the time and no one says thanks feels like.

I want and will get "real soon" a La Caja (cajun microwave) with a smoke pistol. Looking at these, I saw the way PR's put all sorta stuff in a boneless butt, but I think they slice and not pull the finish product (really not sure as I have not read a "how to eat this stuff" directions yet). That is what got me to thinking about this.

I have another brand of mojo and it seperates when it sits for a while but the goya doesn't. The smell is very nice, very appealing. The color is not that pretty in that it is an ugly green/brown.

I have another BPS that I ordered and I am going to use the gen off it and will have a xtra vent tray. If you think this is something you want to try and probaly perfect better than me, I will send it to you.

Also from doing this it gave me another idea to a pulled pork that I will try in the next week or two.

If I can help, Plz ask.

Pachanga

CRG,

Thank you for your kind offer on the heat shield and your reply.  I am hard wiring my computer to a slide rule, abacus, and HP12c to do some calculating on Bradley vent sizes. 

Never mind.  I think I will grab the seat of my pants and modify the shield I have, starting with your measurements, a big hammer, needle nose pliers, duck billed vise grips and some bailing wire.  If I totally ruin it I will give you a shout.   

I live on a lake and the north wind howling over it creates brutal smoking conditions; for Texas that is.  The conditions other members smoke in makes me into a sissy. My only defense is that I do face it everyday when I run my bird dogs.  It may take me some time so if you have other uses for the shield or someone else needs one, move on.

One question I did not see answered is how the modified vent compares to your loose foil experience?  I have had good luck with loose foil but I like your idea and want to experiment with it some.  As I mentioned, my vents came with very narrow openings.  I would like to come up with a permanent passive solution.  Your post will help me think this through.

Again, thanks for the reply and offer.

Good luck and keep thinking,

Pachanga

Quarlow

Pachanga I just measured my OBS v-tray openings and they are 1/4" I don't know if a DBS's are different. I would think they both would be the same.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Quote from: Pachanga on December 11, 2009, 11:15:01 AM
CRG,

I am hard wiring my computer to a slide rule, abacus, and HP12c to do some calculating on Bradley vent sizes. 

Good luck and keep thinking,

Pachanga

I have the HP 16C (software), 27S (scientific) and 48G (great for pretty much anything, including graphics).  Those were the good old days.  ;)

Back to business.  I was thinking of "splitting the difference".  Heavy duty foil, doubled.  Cut some slits to drain any grease and put that on the back half of the V tray.  Hopefully, that would help protect the food from too much direct heat from the heating element.  And, I won't be screwing up my V tray.  But, it's 24F and REAL windy so I probably won't be trying it soon.  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Pachanga

ArnieM,

I had one of the first 12c's off the line. Still a great machine.  Reverse Polish Notation is hard to beat.

I have been doubling heavy duty foil for a while with good results.  I have not tried it but have had the same thoughts as you on on cutting slits or poking holes.  I am working on some other permanent ideas on or just below the first shelf.

Quarlow,

Thank you for the measurements.  My unmodified vents are just thick enough to slide a nickle through when placed flat on the drip deflector.  Obviously, Bradley has changed something over the years.  Maybe they will chime in.

CRG,

Move this to its own thread if you so desire.  I feel I have intruded on yours even though it is a part of your posting.

Good luck and and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Quarlow

Maybe they have accidently given you a BPS v-tray!
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Pachanga

Quarlow,

I have owned this before the BPS.  I think four years or so.  Right after the Bradley Six Rack Digital came out.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Pachanga, I never consider a thread to get hijacked especially if I am learning something and if I don't I just have fun with that too/.